Thursday, August 2, 2018

July's What I'm Craving This Month

Much like June's food post, this one includes a lot of garden goodness!  We've had more than we can eat (such as over 200 cobs of corn!), so our freezer is also stocked now.  Also like June's post, this again includes a lot of "what I eat at restaurants" from our second summer vacation.  I thought I did a really good job of eating healthy while eating out 3 meals a day on the trip.

We had a lot of blackberries, and one way I really enjoyed them was in yogurt.

I also love them plain.

And fresh blueberries are amazing plain, or in yogurt and oatmeal.

I am not even sure how many varieties of tomatoes Jon planted, but here are three of the bite sized varieties.  The yellow pear tomatoes are Albani's favorite.

Here is a mix of many sizes and varieties.

I love roasted tomatoes!  Cooking them really brings out their sweetness.  Just drizzle some olive oil on a baking sheet, slice the tomatoes, and season them (garlic salt is my favorite, and I've also found that basil and cumin have good flavors), then bake at 400* for 40 minutes or so (depends on how thick the tomatoes are, but in my opinion you want them a little blackened/crispy on the edges for the best flavor).

Cucumber slices pair well with hummus for a snack.  Cucumbers are in general one of my least favorite vegetables (celery is my least favorite), but the ones Jon grew were really, really good!

I got two new protein powder flavors, snickerdoodle and chocolate peanut butter.  It's hard for me to choose favorites, but I think birthday cake and peanut butter still tie for #1, followed by cinnamon bun and these two in contention for #2.  The only flavor of this brand I haven't loved is orange creamsicle; I have a container of it and make myself use it on occasion in an effort to use it up.

Jon's been into rotisserie chicken this month, and I like it quite a bit too. It is very moist.  We just buy them at Walmart, and they have a few seasoning options.

I like to make omelets with garden veggies (of course!), like this one with garden kale and tomatoes, topped with nutritional yeast.  I love melty cheese in my omelets but too much cheese too close to a run doesn't sit well for me.

These are bell peppers prepared to be roasted.  If anyone tells me they don't like veggies, I always ask if they've tried roasting them.  I didn't discover this way of cooking them until a few years ago, so I missed out for many years (I like them sauteed and steamed too though)!  Using olive oil or coconut oil on them helps your body better absorb the nutrients and gives you a dose of healthy fats.

This is an Italian inspired dish I made up based on the garden veggies we needed to use that Jon loved; it is roasted eggplant, tomatoes, and zucchini (seasoned with Italian seasoning and garlic salt pre-roasting) along with veggie crumbles (i.e., fake beef) and pasta sauce.  When I was putting this together Albani asked if I was preparing it for a special event or party; apparently I rarely use our casserole dish, haha!

I am still on nightly smoothies - this one was mango with Snickerdoodle protein powder.  When we were traveling I really missed my recovery smoothies!

I roasted pumpkin seeds from pumpkins from our garden, and they turned out well.  I coated these with coconut oil and cinnamon before baking at 375* for about 40 minutes.  The worse you clean the pumpkin innards off them, the longer you have to bake them, and I'm too lazy to clean them much at all.

Another smoothie, with frozen banana and cherries, and birthday cake protein powder.

Tasty Thai chicken and veggies over rice on a work trip.

I don't eat these very often, but they hit the spot as a road trip snack.  This picture is pretty terrible but I never claim to be a food photographer!

This was tilapia, rice, and veggies at a Mexican restaurant.

My first trip through the buffet at the Creation Museum; I forgot to photograph my second plate but I loved the Brussels sprouts and got many more of those!

The only thing better than a veggie omelet is one topped with avocado.  This was a late dinner at IHOP.  I worried that eating at 10:30 p.m. would cause a problem on my 6:00 a.m. run the next morning, but it didn't.

We stopped at a fast food chili place (Skyline or Skylight or Sky-something Chili, I think), and I really hoped they'd have a white bean chicken chili, but they didn't, so I had a Greek salad.  It was good but I needed carbs.

Grilled chicken, veggies, and biscuits at Bob Evans.

 Greek salad, take 2, in Niagara Falls.  Also delicious and the bread was helpful.

Vegetarian chili in Canada.  This was good, but not nearly enough food, so I ended up eating Albani's cheese pizza that she couldn't finish too.

Another Bob Evans meal:  a veggie omelet, wheat toast, and fruit.  My mother-in-law also gave me part of her roasted chicken plate, which is what is on the right.

A burrito bowl from Moes - rice, beans, tofu, guacamole, and all of the veggies.  The red onion on top is pickled!

Chicken, veggies, and rice Chinese meal.

Basic roasted chicken on wheat with all of the veggies at Subway.

Jon loves barbeque, and this roasted turkey was one of the best meals I've ever had from a barbeque joint.

This is a poor photo of an amazing Hawaiian chicken soft taco from the Great American Taco Company; it had chicken in a citrus sauce, feta, pineapple, cabbage, pico, and cilantro sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment