Thursday, March 17, 2016

My First Official Pacing Gig

I’m going to be an official pacer for the first time and I’m pumped!
 
I saw a post on my local running club’s Facebook page today that was recruiting pacers for a local half marathon, the Big Party Half Marathon for Camp Barnabus, on April 2.  I have 15 miles scheduled for that day, and it’s quite easy to make a half into a 15 miler, so I volunteered to pace the 1:40 group.  My base pace long runs are done around 7:30 pace, and a 1:40 is 7:37 pace so it’s pretty perfect.  I get a free entry, get to do my long run with aid stations, and get to help other runners achieve their goals.  Sounds like winning all around!
 
Although I’ve never led an official race pace group, I’ve paced my husband in a lot of workouts over the years (including his 2-mile personal record time on the track), and also in a marathon.  Take note, single runners:  marry a runner who is faster than you and he/she will do this for you!  I think I’m a really good pacer, and even when I’m running at my max I’m consistent on workout paces and speed work reps.  I'm confident I can maintain all of my miles between 7:35-7:39 for a 1:39:59 half (because, come on, if you're running with the 1:40 group don't you really want a 1:39:5X?!).
 
I’m also pumped because my first post-injury race is going to be on April 9, so doing my long run in a race environment a week before will be nice as well.
 
If you want to run a 1:40 half on April 2, find me at:  www.bigpartymarathon.com

 
Also, I now have an official post-injury racing schedule!  I will be running a “rust buster” local 5K on April 9, the Prairie Fire half marathon on May 1, and the Scout Strong Challenge half marathon on May 14.  Looking ahead to fall, I hope to run the Plaza 10K on September 11 and the Prairie Fire full marathon on October 9.  I will add in plenty of other races, but this is my start!  I am also gunning for the Phoenix Marathon in February 2017 since I missed it this year (although hopefully I will get my sub-3:00 at Prairie Fire and not have to wait that long)!  BUT --- a reminder not to be greedy and just be happy with the blessing that I am running healthy!!!  And I am very happy about that - this week has been amazing and I am thankful for every run!

No comments:

Post a Comment