Saturday, July 30, 2016

Don't let comparison steal your joy!

I first read this quote on an Instagram post from Sarah Hall, who I really admire as a runner and as a person. Now if a professional runner can run joyfully in that manner, I sure should be able to as well! On one hand, I really enjoy running each and every day; on the other hand, sometimes I am hard on myself because of what I can't do.

This is a conundrum. Racing is about competition, and how can you have competition without comparison? Although I strive to place my best in races and to beat my competitors, ultimately my competition is against myself and improving my PRs. I wouldn't care if I placed dead last if I ran a sub-3:00 marathon! If I don't hit my time goals I am far more disappointed than if I don't win or place; in fact, I've had plenty of disappointing wins because of times. In training, I always compare my times to what I've done before, and sometimes that brings me joy while other times it does steal my joy. 

Although I'm not yet quite sure how to reconcile this, I am definitely going to work on not letting comparison steal my joy. I'm not very good at living in the moment or rejoicing in the present - I'm always thinking ahead - but I think the more I can find joy in each moment the more fulfilled I will be, in running and in life. I shouldn't lose another moment on comparison - with running or with my career, parenting skills, marriage, helpfulness, productivity, possessions, etc. After all, we are all on our own journey and no one person has it all!

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! - Philippians 4:4


3 comments:

  1. I struggle with this as well. I just ran a strong 10k tempo and felt really good about where I am with my training, but then I thought about it and realized I used to run a half marathon at a faster pace than what I just did for a 10k. That's the hard thing about running. It's so easy to compare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your strong tempo! It's so hard not to compare. Think about all your body has done though - carried those two little ones for 9 months and fed them. You'll get back to where you were before (and faster I'm sure!), but right now even if you're not where you were with running, you're an amazing momma, which takes much more energy and time!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sara! Your training inspires me to push myself more. I love ready about all your hard workouts, long runs, and training weeks!

      Delete