Sunday, February 5, 2017

My Hair is Always Dirty (Peak Week!)

Week of January 30-February 5, 2017 - a.k.a. peak week of Phoenix Marathon training!

Mileage: 67.6, with a hill + tempo workout, two doubles, my longest long run of this cycle with a fast finish, two bootcamp/strength workouts, and my highest mileage week of this training cycle

We emphasize recovery in the Ibbetson household!
"Work" is missing
Monday - Cross-training Monday with 40 minutes elliptical warm-up and 50 minutes strength training bootcamp...the usual!  Although Mondays are the best day for me to have off running, and I know that I need a day off each week to stay healthy, I always hate starting the week with a big fat 0 for my mileage!  #runnerproblems

Tuesday - 12.3 total, with 8 miles a.m. (7:18) and 4.3 miles runch (7:37).  For the morning run, I met not one running partner, but four!  With Missy, Danielle, Ashley, and Amy  R. it was our largest women's group run yet - awesomeness!  It was 60 degrees on my lunch run -- how's that for more January awesomeness? 

This was also the last day of January!
January mileage + snot on my Garmin from using my gloves as Kleenexes (just keeping it real!)
Wednesday - 10.2 miles total (7:24 for all), with 3ish warm-up, 6 x 0.25 hill repeats with downhill recoveries that were 0.25-0.3ish, 2 mile tempo (6:43, 6:19) straight off of repeat 6, 2ish cool-down.  I've run this workout once before, but ran a different course this time so it wasn't comparable.  Missy and Danielle were really good friends and did this workout too!

The warm-up was somewhat hilly to get to the workout hill, then for the hill repeats we ran back and forth in a bowl, so repeats 1, 3, 5 were on one hill and repeats 2, 4, 6 were on a different hill -- this was good, as one was steep at the beginning then tapered off toward the top, and the other was consistent and longer - although you can't tell the difference from the elevation chart below.  Then when the 2 mile tempo started I was still going uphill and into the wind, so the first mile of the tempo ended up just sucking  - at the beginning of it I wasn't even sub-7:00.  My time of 6:43 is slower than my marathon goal pace, but it sure felt like tempo effort (my tempo pace range is 6:05-6:20).  I ran mile 2 of the tempo in 6:19, so just barely in my tempo range and slower than my PR half pace; I am not sure if I just didn't have it or if we picked a horrible course- or both!  Missy and Danielle said that the first mile was awful for them as well, so that made me feel better.

As the tempo portion drew on, I kept thinking, "Now I know why I originally didn't have a workout scheduled this week (between the Hardest Workout Ever and the upcoming 24)"; that changed when I missed my 1K repeats due to bronchitis.  But now I have times to beat on this course...although if have this workout again, I may move it back to the other course!  Then the cool-down was hilly too, and Danielle commented that the cool-down was the first time we'd run miles in the 8:00s together.  When I got home afterward, I told Jon that I wanted to take some vacation time from work and go to a breakfast buffet, haha!  Unfortunately I had an 8:00 a.m. client appointment so couldn't.  I was so.hungry.all.the.time.all.week (I went through an economy size jar of peanut butter).  I also did a 10 minute core workout on Wednesday.

El-e-vation (sing it like U2)
Thursday - 11.3 total; 8.1 a.m. (7:31) and 3.2 (7:34) runch.  The morning run was with Missy, Danielle, and Amy R., and we were all tired at the beginning (7:55 first mile), but felt good at the end (7:20 last mile).  This was my last double day before Phoenix, and I realized that when I pick them back up it will be light after work if I want to do them later!  I tend to feel a little better on the second run if I do it later, with a longer duration and more food between runs, but over the winter it's sure been nice to have one run in daylight when I run twice.  In the spring it will just depend on my family's schedule on the days I have them.

Friday - 3.3 mile shake out (7:34) and 30 minutes of strength training.  I strength trained on my own instead of going to bootcamp so I could control what moves I did (i.e., no jumping lunges or jumping squats!).  I was sore last week on Saturday after Friday's bootcamp, and I didn't want a repeat of that for this week's long run - even though it didn't seem to hurt me during last week's long run workout, it just doesn't seem like the best idea in the world!

Saturday -  24.4 miles (7:11) - my longest long run!  I did 19 steady, 5 progressive fast finish (6:52, 6:44, 6:45, 6:33, 6:17), then cooled down to 2:55:00 because I wanted that duration on my feet - so that hopefully I will now have run for a longer duration than my marathon will take me.  I ran 9 alone, then 13 with Amy P. (she had 3 fast finish so our runs meshed perfectly), then the final 2.4 solo.  I hoped to average 7:15 on this run for a confidence boost, so I felt really good about ending up averaging 7:11 in the conditions we had.  The windchill was 12* when I started and 17* when I finished, and the SSE wind was 17 mph!  I ran mostly east and west to minimize it, but I still felt it going east, and the south miles were tough.  Most of miles 22 and 23 were into the wind so I could have planned that better with the fast finish situation, but with courses and elevation from my house I think it was still the best bet.  I felt strong throughout, and for the first 3 fast finish miles I felt like I was picking it up but also holding back.  The final 2 miles were tough, but the 6:33 mile was over half into the wind, and the 6:17 was, well, a 6:17 mile with 23 miles already on my legs!  I felt like I was running out of fuel a bit towards the end (I started dreaming of breakfast buffets!), so I will definitely take 3 gels during my marathon to sustain me more (I took 2 during this run).  After this run and the Hardest Workout Ever in crazy wind, I now feel prepared to run a cold, windy marathon...so I guess I will run a marathon in Arizona in 3 weeks, haha!

Splits 1
Splits 2
I tested out part of my Phoenix race outfit; under layers!
Sunday - 6.1 mile recovery run (7:32) with Amy R.  I was expecting my legs to be dragging on this one, so when my watch beeped 1 mile I looked at my split to see exactly how slow I was (I typically try to avoid looking at my watch on recovery runs, as I want to run them by feel to keep them easy), and I was quite surprised to see a 7:38!  Huh.  I guess the stretching, foam rolling, legs up the wall, and compression sock wearing I did on Saturday paid off.  This almost seemed like more of an accomplishment than the 24 miler!

This week I also finalized my spring race plans (through June) for after Phoenix!  They were a bit of a puzzle to put together, but I'm pretty pumped about them.  I'm going to be racing three halves, two 5Ks, a 10,000 m on the track, and maybe a 15K!

2 comments:

  1. So exciting! You are going to kill it at Phoenix! Which halves are you doing this spring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock the Parkway and Dam to Dam for sure, and most likely Prairie Fire as well (one each month in April, May, and June).

      I couldn't make the Aquarium Run 5K or 10K work into my schedule, so unfortunately I won't see your half PR!

      Delete