Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Bootcamp

I realized that I mention bootcamp quite a bit, but I've never elaborated much on it.  Running is much more fun to write about!  But the strength and plyometric moves in bootcamp have helped my running quite a bit and help keep me injury-free, so I wanted to write down some details about it.

Each class is different, but every class is some combination of the following moves in various sequences.  I like the unpredictability, and it also keeps the workouts effective for me.  Some days we use heavier weights and do fewer reps, some days it's lighter weights and more reps, and a lot of moves are body weight only (e.g., jumping squats/lunges, push-ups, etc.).

For years I had the goal of strength training on my own, and I went through bouts of consistency with it, but I was never consistent long-term until I started attending a class.  I do much better in this group setting having someone tell me what to do than I do going at it on my own.  It's now part of my Monday and Friday routine (or Monday only, if I have a weekend race), which also makes it easier to continue.  Mondays are my day off running currently (although soon my coach is upping me to running 7 days a week), and on Fridays I have my shortest run of the week.  Some people like to combine strength training with their hard running days so that recovery days are truly about recovery, but this combination has worked well for me and is much easier logistically -- plus, I have three other days each week that are easy runs, as I typically do only two hard runs a week.

I'm listing the names my instructor uses for exercises, most of which I believe are commonly known.  If you want me to elaborate or show examples of anything I can!
  • Squat variations
    • Standard weighted
    • Single leg
    • Sumo
    • Jumping
  • Lunge variations
    • Forward
    • Lateral
    • Backward
    • Curtsy
    • Around the world
    • Jumping
    • Walking
  • Plank variations
    • Standard on elbows or straight arm
    • Side
    • Side with rotation
    • With spider man legs and other leg movements
    • With one leg or arm lifted
    • Bird dog movements
  • Various core
    • Walk-outs
    • Standing core moves
    • Russian twists
    • Bicycle
    • Leg lifts
    • Crunches and crunch variations
  • Dead lifts
    • Single-leg
    • Double-leg
    • With arm lift moves at the top of each move
  • Wall sits
  • Bridges
    • Single leg
    • Double leg
    • Walking legs
  • Rows
    • Kneeling
    • Bent
    • High
  • Tricep extensions, usually combined with a lower body or core move
  • Bicep curls, usually combined with a lower body move
  • Push-ups
    • Standard
    • Tricep
    • With one arm wide
    • With one leg lifted
  • Mountain climbers
  • Burpees and squat thrusts
  • Butt-kicks
  • High knees
  • Fast feet
  • Skaters
  • Tuck jumps
  • Jumping jacks
  • Figure 8s
  • Balance moves
  • Work on a BOSU ball
  • Work on an exercise ball
There are a few strength moves that we don't really do in bootcamp that I incorporate on my own before class, due to their running specificity and my injury history:
  • Step-ups
  • Calf raises
  • Box jumps
And that's my workout outside of running!  I have some concerns with sticking to it as I increase my mileage over this summer, but my goal is to stay consistent.


5 comments:

  1. Is it an hour class? I've always been intrigued by boot camps but have never attended one. I feel like it would take me a while to adjust and be able to keep up. Was it hard running hard workouts when you first started boot camp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an hour long class, but most days I have to leave after about 45 minutes to get to work. I've tried a few different bootcamps and they've all been different; ironically one thing I like about the one I go to is that the instructor doesn't incorporate running. Another one I tried included running 3 miles or so per class, and it didn't work for me since I'm going on a day that's off running (plus everyone's paces are so different).

      When I first started going I was sore all.the.time. I would finally get over being sore in time for the next class, haha! I started going when I was running pretty low mileage after finishing up a fall racing season, so I wasn't pushing it on runs at the time. I still get sore from it at times (not nearly as severe), but the soreness doesn't seem to hurt my running; it's a different type of soreness I guess. I would definitely recommend starting during a base running phase so you're not trying to adapt to the strength sessions and hard runs at once.

      Delete
    2. That makes sense! I tend to always start everything at once. I need to be better about that!

      Delete
    3. That's easy to do -- especially when PR-chasing! I have finally (mostly) learned to be somewhat conservative with training...it only took me 20-some years, haha! I've found that being able to train consistently (without time off for injuries) gets me better results than training harder. You are not injury-prone like me, but I know you don't want to over-train!

      Delete
  2. Great piece of writing, I really liked the way you highlighted some really important and significant points. Thanks so much, I appreciate your work.Bootcamp instructor insurance cost

    ReplyDelete