Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Never Satisfied Syndrome

Do you, or does someone you love, suffer from Never Satisfied Syndrome?  The primary symptom is always wanting more.  This is often shown by accomplishing a goal and immediately setting a new one, and also by always finding at least one thing that could have been better about any performance.  It is quite common in Type A endurance athletes, and I definitely have a case of it.

I once read an article that said runners like this are hard to coach, so sometimes I feel bad when I send an email to my coach describing that I am thrilled with a PR, and then in subsequent paragraphs tell him what could have been better and what bigger thing I want to work towards next ("I'm so happy, BUT...").  The day after the BMO Mesa-Phoenix Marathon, I was celebrating my PR, but I was also planning bigger goals.  I rode the high of that race for weeks, but at the same time I was very clear on my next big dream goal of 2:44:59 even at the post-race celebration.  Before Phoenix, 2:49 was a pipe dream, but afterward, it wasn't good enough; I decided I could do better.

I know I'm not the only one who operates this way, so how can we strike a balance?!  I think I'm pretty good with being thankful and content, but never satisfied.  I'm pleased with how my training is going, but I know I can do more.  I'm happy with my current PRs, but I think I can go faster.  On one hand, this outlook can diminish accomplishments ("It's never enough!"), but on the other hand I think it's part of what keeps me approaching training with abandon day after day (the other part of that is simply because I love running).

I put 2:45 as the label on my morning alarm some time ago, so it was the first thing I saw when I woke up to run every morning (during my Phoenix build, I had 2:49:59 as the label, but never told anyone).  After showing the alarm to Jon, I changed it to 2:44:59, saying, "Who wants to run 2:45:00 when you could run just 1 second faster so you can say you've run a 2:44 marathon?"  Then we both laughed and he said, "I think you'll take a 2:45:00", followed by more laughter and "Yes, I will, but then I'll spend the subsequent months wondering why I couldn't have found just 1 more second."

It's a slippery slope!  Don't get me wrong -- I will be elated if I hit 2:45:00 on the nose at any point, because that's what it takes; I will also be proud even if 2:49 stand as my forever marathon PR.  But I want to try to do better!  When I started this "work my marathon time down" journey, I genuinely oh-so-naively believed that if I broke 3:00 I would be completely satisfied and wouldn't even need to run another marathon.  We all know how that turned out -- I was ecstatic, but I knew I had a faster one in me.  I became obsessed with 2:49, and was very blessed for that one to work out.  Then in true form, it's been onto the next obsession with 2:44:59!

I told Jon that if I get a qualifying time then I won't run another marathon between running it and the 2020 Trials.  Then we had another good laugh about that; he acknowledged, "If you run a 2:44, you'll then want a 2:42."  At least he knows what he could be in for!  I like to think at some point I will acknowledge I'm at my max, and right now I really do think I would feel that way about 2:44:59.

Thankful and content, but never satisfied -- it's not the worst way to operate, right?  Dream big and then dream bigger!


8 comments:

  1. More important is how you treat yourself and other people along the way to pursuing those goals. I think you're OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the perspective, Dave! I value your opinion so appreciate this point.

      Delete
  2. I think there’s a difference between never satisfied and feeling like you have more to give. I land more in the satisfied but know I can do better and I feel like that’s how you are. You enjoy your accomplishment and love acheiving goals and give yourself the time to really appreciate that. But I think when you haven’t hit your peak yet, you know that even if you had a great race that you can do better. For me the hunger to do more always is the strongest right after a great race. Runners high makes me feel like I can destroy the next one, haha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about runners highs making us feel like we can do anything!

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, I can relate. I remember thinking I'd NEVER get sub 1:50 in a marathon and then I got 1:48 and said I *know* I can get a sub 1:45 and then I got a 1:42...now I REALLY want a sub 1:40 and say that I'll be good with a 1:30anything and stay with that PR....we'll see if that's true when I get my sub 1:40 LOL....

    Surprisingly, with the marathon, I just want to BQ. I think once I get that BQ time, I'll be okay with that being my PR for a long time or forever. I feel more confident being okay with that than the half marathon (and I like marathons WAY better than halfs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I see you getting that 1:38, then wanting 1:35, then might as well break 1:30! ;-) It's a slippery slope, but I imagine there are worse addictions, right? I think when you get your BQ, you'll also try to improve that time at Boston. We are runners, through and through.

      Delete
  4. I am right there with you! I will always be wanting to better myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is more common than not amongst distance runners! 😊

      Delete