Friday, April 6, 2018

Embracing effort-based racing: Easter Sun Run "10K"

Easter Sun Run Races

Post-race pose
As with the Big 12 12K, I changed my mind about running this race about 500 times, due to lacking consistency in training and confidence.  I went into the race un-rested and expecting very little out of myself, but my coach suggested using it as tempo effort and I figured I would aim to enjoy myself and try for an overall placing.  I decided before the race that I would run by effort and with my competition, without looking at my splits, because I imagined myself getting discouraged when my times weren't what I'd like to see, which has happened in several recent workouts.
My mom said my ponytail was on fire on the starting line
I went out conservatively, and quickly found myself in second place female, behind last year's female winner who I knew would again dominate.  Being in second early surprised me, especially because I felt like I went out pretty slow.  Around a half mile into the race, Curt, a man I've raced and trained with when in Wichita before, pulled up beside me.  I could feel my effort level increase as I fell into running with him, but it still felt sustainable and I was able to talk, so I decided to pace with him.
Trying to hang on to Curt
When the course had an out-and-back section around mile 4, I saw that I had almost as much ground on the third woman as the first woman had on me (e.g., a lot!), so baring disaster there was not going to be any female place changing.  Curt and I passed a couple of men, moving him into 5th male, which I'd been encouraging him to go get since the top 5 places received prize money.  He then left me in the dust in the final mile, but I maintained my effort and felt good about giving what I had.  When I neared the end and saw the finishing clock still in the 38s, I was surprised, because the course measures closer to 6.5 miles (some 10K, right?!), and last year I barely broke 40:00 on it.  My official gun time was 39:11 (official results are here), but I would have run in the mid-37s on an accurate course, rivaling my 10K road PR of 37:30.  I was also happy to take second overall female, even though it was a very distant second (first ran around 5:30 pace).
Great scenery near the finishing chute
This makes me 2 for 2 on March races that ended up a lot better for me than I thought my training indicated I'd run.  The Tuesday and Thursday before this race I could barely run 400 m. and 1:00, respectively, at 6:02 pace, and on this race day I ran 6.5 miles at that pace with almost completely even pacing (my Garmin splits were all within 6 seconds of each other, which I was extremely pumped about).  The weather was far better for the race than for either of those workouts, and latching onto Curt certainly helped, but I am starting to feel like I just need to get out of my own head and ditch my watch.  I also do truly believe that racing by effort and feel is the best way to race, but I am just not brave enough to do it in a goal race!
Albani's favorite part of the event
Creepy Easter bunny
An octopus may be an uncommon face paiting request
After my race and cool-down, I watched Albani run her first 2 mile race.  She'd been really optimistic about it since she'd run a 5K without walking in January.  My parents were spectating, we were all excited to see her run, and she was insistent that she didn't want me to run with her.  For whatever reason (possibly Easter candy, since she did an egg hunt during my race!), she didn't have as enjoyable of an experience this time around and had to walk.  She told me next year that she wanted to just watch me run and do the egg hunt at this race.  I think she was also disappointed that she didn't win an award, so I gave her my medal, which cheered her up some.  I always leave it up to her whether or not she wants to run races, because I want her to enjoy running and not feel like she ever has to do it, but I hope this experience doesn't dampen her outlook on running.

I also hope she is not paying attention when I change my mind 500 times about running races!
Pre-race excitement

I wouldn't let her go farther up than the 8 minute mile sign
Just look at those big blue eyes!

My dad's videos from the race:
Start
Around mile 5
Awards Ceremony

6 comments:

  1. So interesting to watch kids discover themselves and what they want/don't want out of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! She's bounced back from this race and has been asking about running another 5K.

      Delete
  2. I’m so impressed with your 10k time just going off feel! I always find I run my best races when I mostly ignore my watch, but I can’t help but always check my mile splits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could resist looking at it in a long race quite yet, but for shorter stuff I'm starting to feel really good about doing it that way. Generally when I've had races that I couldn't finish strong, I've felt like I was pushing too much too early, but I was tied to what my watch was telling me instead of what my body was telling me. This definitely happened at Houston - I kept going to 6:25-6:28 pace early on but kept forcing it back to 6:18-6:20. If I'd have run without being a slave to my splits there I'd probably have run quite a bit faster by not slowing down to 7:00 pace for the final 10 miles!

      Delete
    2. I do the same thing. I freak out about the pace and really should just trust myself and my pacing! I’ll try to learn from your example!

      Delete
    3. It’s definitely easier said than done, but it is pretty liberating! I ran 21 miles (easy, not a workout) today without ever looking at my splits or the mileage I was at, and my training partners thought I was nuts. I may have the guts to do it at Grandma’s because I don’t expect to PR so it doesn’t feel risky.

      Delete