Sunday, July 8, 2018

Shufflin' at Shuffle for the Shelter

I am doing a summer of short races.  I considered using the phrase "summer of speed", but I am not sure that anything I run will actually be speedy...in fact, I am more sure it will not be!  These marathon legs have a hard time getting turnover.  I sure admire those people who race equivalent performances at all distances in the same season!

I participate in a yearly competition my running club hosts that requires a certain number of races in different distance categories.  The races that I have run/have planned for 2018 fulfill all I need (and then some) for every category except for short distance.  I had one 5K on my 2018 schedule, a local fall race that I run because of the prizes offered.  I need to run 5 short distance races total, so I had the bright idea that I would run the other 4 when I'm between marathon training blocks (and of course running no speed work).  I knocked out the first at the Duck Waddle on June 30, and the second one a week later at the Shuffle for the Shelter on July 7.
It was quite sunny, & I forgot to change shoes so raced this
in Hoka Cliftons
I figured the race would be small since it was an inaugural event, and I also figured it would be the wrong distance because pretty much every race in my area that isn't certified is off.  I just secretly hope that if they're wrong they will be 3.0 instead of 3.2 (I've also had 2.6 and 3.4...)!  I tried to plot the course on mapmyrun.com from the course map before I decided to go to the race, and kept coming up with 3.2-3.3, but I couldn't map it quite right because it started and finished in a parking lot, had a turn around that I couldn't quite figure out (on race day I learned that it was also in a parking lot), and it wasn't clear exactly how the two loop course worked - so really I couldn't tell.  It was my only local race option this morning, and we are going to be on vacation on July 21 and 28, so I didn't have too many other options to get the races done before my Saturday long runs become long and important again.  A slower time is also better than not having the minimum number of races in my running club's competition, because in the latter scenario you can't compete in the contest at all.

On race morning I was the annoying person asking a million questions, because I was trying to run the course for my warm up and was not familiar with the area, and as I mentioned had struggled with the course map.  The race organizers were very kind and helped me figure out the course, and also told me there would be a bike lead.  I then ran the course for my warm-up, and it measured 3.43, but then I learned I didn't have to go all the way through the starting line before starting the second loop, so I still didn't know how long it actually was.  The race organizers were so nice that they even checked in with me on what distance it was before the start, since I'd been asking about the course beforehand.  I doubt they expected someone to be so concerned about the precise distance of the small fundraising 5K, and they probably complained about me later (not really, they were extremely nice people, but I did have a lot of questions - I also made sure to compliment all of the things they did well)!
Just after the start
After the race began, I was out in front pretty quickly.  Having the lead bike to follow was very helpful, although the course was also well-marked.  I ran by effort, but looked at my watch when we finished the first loop to see the distance (1.60).  On the second lap, I completely let the pedal off the metal...I just didn't have it in me to hurt.  In the end my splits looked like 1 mile at 10K pace (5:59) + 1 mile at half pace (6:08) + 1 mile at marathon pace (6:27) - for 6:12 average for the 3.19 mile race.  I was almost embarrassed to share my splits, but we've all been there, right?  I just couldn't go to the race pain cave...I think that had something to do with running 5Ks a week apart.  In the Duck Waddle I hurt a lot in the final mile, but I also ran quite a bit faster, and I hope that I negative split.  I'd originally planned to run a Firecracker Run too, but I'm sure glad that didn't work out - I doubt I'd have had that in me (on July 4 I fast finished a 9 mile run in 6:22, 6:26, 6:11 and really don't think I'd have raced much faster than that)!
The lead bike looking back for me
I finished about 90 seconds ahead of the second runner (the overall male), and received a gift certificate for a free massage for my award, which I was really pumped about, particularly because I wasn't expecting it.  The race organizers were so nice and did such a great job for a first year event, I couldn't even be annoyed about the course.  Plus, the Duck Waddle was a little short, so I figure my times will balance each other out in my running club's competition, and at least I got a massage for my solid regression run effort!  Results are here.  Only two more summer short races to go!
Can't wait to redeem this!
I made it into the Marshfield Mail newspaper



Late addition to this post - how sweet is this that they sent
thank you notes to participants?!  I've never received one
 before in my 26 years of running.

2 comments:

  1. Why go to the pain cave when you’re just running it to get it in and aren’t going for a certain time?! And you won by a lot! I’d have done the same thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afterward I really kicked myself over the slow third mile, but in the moment I just didn't have it in me to push. I'd forgotten how 5Ks feel and running two in two weeks was a rude awakening, haha!

      Delete