Friday, July 5, 2019

After Grandma's Marathon, we vacation!

We had such a great time vacationing last year after Grandma's that we decided to do it again!  I always enjoy combining marathons with additional touring, plus it means there is no pressure on the race because no matter how it goes, you get a family trip out of the deal.

This year it was just me and my parents, because Jon and Albani stayed in Missouri to handle one of Jon's business endeavors, selling blackberries that we grow on our acreage at a farmers market.  Side notes: I have been amazed at how quickly we have sold out each market!  I've helped at the Saturday markets, but during the week I am at work.

My parents and I started our vacationing in Duluth the day before Grandma's Marathon.  We visited Enger Tower and Park, including climbing the tower for some of the best views of the area.  It was extremely windy and chilly in the tower.  We took a train ride along Lake Superior (also chilly), and we visited the Duluth Rose Garden and Lief Erickson Park (still windy and chilly).  It was a balance of vacationing but trying not to do too much the day before the race.
Enger Tower
This picture does not do the view justice
Enger Tower
Kicking my legs up at the top of Enger Tower
My mom ringing a Japanese peace bell at Enger Park
Scenic Railroad
The train we rode is behind us
"It's mostly trees" - train ride review by Dave Major
More putting my feet up
There were a lot of trees, but it was pretty
Lake Superior in Leif Erickson Park
Duluth Rose Garden area (the roses were 1-2
weeks away from blooming)
After the race on Saturday, we drove over to Bayfield, Wisconsin.  We spent that afternoon and evening walking around and exploring the cute little touristy town.  We popped into a few shops and walked along Lake Superior.  We found a beach that was less than 40 feet long, and kids were swimming in the freezing lake!
Cute area in Bayfield
Aww
The beach started about 30 feet away
You don't see solar phone charging stations everywhere!
On Sunday, I did a 15 minute super easy run and found a great little wooded trail in Bayfield.  We started our touring at a visitor's center in Bayfield, then continued with a boat tour of the Apostle Islands (21 islands in Lake Superior - although there were only 12 Apostles).  I was pretty zonked out from the marathon and 6+ miles of walking on Saturday followed by a night of minimal sleep (post-marathon insomnia is a thing), so I didn't enjoy this as much as I would have under normal circumstances, but it was nice to do something seated!  Afterward we had lunch at a lakeside restaurant, and we all sampled fresh-caught white fish (fish tacos for me). We then drove on to Ashland, Wisconsin.  My parents checked out their extensive visitors center while I took a nap!  That afternoon we hiked around on the trails in the campground that we stayed in until it began raining.
My dad in front of our tour boat
I look more alert than I was
One of the Islands behind my beautiful mama
National Park Visitors Center
On Monday we woke up to more rain.  I did a 20 minute run on another great trail that wound through woods and along Lake Superior.  We then filled our bottles up from their Artesian water attraction, and drove most of the Ashland Mural Walk.  I was disappointed we didn't get to walk it and take more photos, but I also had no desire to be outside in 50 degrees and heavy rain!  We'd planned to see some waterfalls in the area, but it was supposed to rain all day so we began driving back towards Kansas City, then stopped for the night in Des Moins.
The tour guides made this sound like a much
bigger deal than it was
Mural walk/drive in Ashland
A rest stop in Iowa
Tuesday morning in Des Moines I found yet another beautiful trail, this one a Greenway trail running through the city.  We spent nearly 5 hours at the Living History Farms in Urbandale.  It was quite the live museum, and I was glad our changed plans led us to see it.  I took about 10 times the photos that I posted here at the attraction; there was a lot to see!
Living History Farms
1920s farm
1800s farm
1920s farm
This was a treadmill for sheep!
Tuesday evening we arrived back in Kansas City!  I'd scheduled to work on Wednesday at my company's Kansas City division, which I knew I'd regret, but it only made sense (I'd also spent a day there prior to leaving on this trip, since I was driving up there anyway).  Wednesday evening I arrived truly at home, feeling like I'd experienced a year in the week I was away!
Trips with these two are the best!
I'm a big proponent of marathons + vacations, so another benefit of Grandma's is that you have many vacations options to tack on afterward.  We haven't done anything in Minneapolis before or after the race yet, so I think that's reason enough to go back to it next year!

1 comment:

  1. I love your dad's train review, that is so funny! Sounds like you definitely have to go back to Grandma's just for the touristing before and after! ;)

    ReplyDelete