Tuesday, February 11, 2020

2:45:01 and Beyond: Erin Swain Taylor

Who else has notched a new PR that was hard to be disappointed with yet difficult to be content with? You’ll relate to what Erin has to say. She already has her sights set on a 2024 OTQ, because “you’ll never know if you don’t try!”  Read about how she DNFed a beer mile after realizing her drinking skills are not up to par with her running skills.
Name: Erin Swain Taylor
Age: 37
City/State: Raleigh, NC
Occupation:  HR System Project Management

Hobbies/interests outside of running:
Hanging with my boys (7 and 4) and husband; girlfriend nights out; wine and The Bachelor, Bachelorette, and Bachelor Pad

When did you start chasing the OTQ and what inspired you to try?
A year ago at Indy marathon 2018 I ran a PR of 2:50:13 and thought maybe I could do it.  I think I have always thought about it but ran in the 2:52-2:53 range 3 times in a row (between kids) and kind of thought that was just how fast I was.  I got inspired to try the more and more former teammates I had trained with OTQed so I thought- if they can do it- so can I!

Tell us about the races you attempted to OTQ at and the outcomes.  
I set the goal of OTQing at CIM 2019 – kind of put all my eggs in one basket and maybe even made myself super anxious about it.  I ended up with a 2:47:31 PR and feel off the 2:45 pace group around 18 miles or so. It sucked and I wanted to cry but I knew I had to finish.
What did you gain from this journey?
I gained the confidence to run fast again.  I have recently PRed at the half and full marathon and now I just want to continue consistent training and run as low in the 240s as I can. I think I am done having kids so now it’s about just training consistently and building off each month of training.

What are you most proud of about your OTQ pursuit? 
I am proud of myself for setting a big goal and going after it- even when you hear the per mile pace for 26.2!  :)

Do you have any regrets or things you wish you’d done differently in your OTQ pursuit? 
I do wish I had maybe focused a little more on my overall diet and sleep during the training.  I have a hard time saying "no" to personal things in my life - I want to do it all!  I also wish I had just gone for it again at Houston in January 2020 - I struggled a little bit with recovery after CIM but I wish I had said - just go for it!

What message would you like to send to those following your running pursuits? 
Set a big goal and go after it! Even if the goal feels crazy and fast - you will never know if you don’t try!  Also find a group or a few people to train with if you can - it makes a world of difference - even if they are not your exact pace - I promise you will both/all help each other!  without my Raleigh running peeps I would never ever workout or go long! #catherine #katie #kasey #bill #brianna

Tell us something unique about yourself.
I have only DNFed two times in my life - once when pregnant and once in the beer mile in an elite field - I found out quickly I might run fast but I do not drink fast!!

What’s next for you? 
Some fun lower key 5Ks and a local half in March, thinking of Pittsburgh Marathon in May 2020 and then Richmond full 2020.  I want to keep my marathon momentum going and set goals on 2024 OTQ!

1 comment:

  1. I love how many of these women are already looking forward to a 2024 OTQ!

    ReplyDelete