Thursday, March 5, 2020

2:45:01 and Beyond: Jamie Hershfang

I have been consistently amazed at and inspired by Jamie's attitude about running.  While her work ethic is amazing and she trains extremely hard every cycle, she never loses sight of the fact that we run for fun, we are fortunate to be part of such an amazing community, and that we are lucky to get to do this!  We exchanged many motivating conversations throughout our OTQ quest, and also ran a handful of the same races including Grandma's 2018, Indy 2019 (she ran the half there), and Houston 2020.  In addition to being a talented and determined runner, she is very kind and generous, and of course I support anyone who eats peanut butter every day!  I am really excited to see her dip her toe into the world of ultras this year.
Name:  Jamie Hershfang
Age: 26
City/State: Chicago, IL
Occupation: Store Manager at Fleet Feet Chicago - Lakeview

Hobbies/interests outside of running: cooking and testing out new recipes, photography, traveling, and writing

Background info:
My relationship with running changed tremendously over the years. I struggled with eating disorders since 8th grade. I missed school for inpatient treatment programs, in high school, and college. Doctors told me that running wasn’t good for me, that I would never be able to find a healthy balance. I needed to learn how to separate myself from being a runner to someone that can enjoy life outside of the sport. After my last round of inpatient treatment, I realized I needed to change. I had lost so much love for running because I was mistreating my body. I was chasing times on the clock just like the number on the scale, the number of calories I was eating, my mind was consumed by numbers. It took me years to finally let go of a scale, the pace on my watch, just eat whenever and not feel guilty about it. That time spent away from running made me realize why I love it so much. Because when your mind is racing, everything around you seems crazy, running brings you to this feeling where you can focus on just being in the moment. And it feels so freaking good.

I struggled through many injuries and setbacks during college. A triple pelvic stress fracture, stress fractures in both my feet, ankle issues, plantar fasciitis, I felt like I was always overcoming something. When I finally took care of my body, things started falling into place. My senior year in college, I finally made it a goal to qualify for nationals in the 10k on the track. I remember going into a meet, falling short, and giving it a shot at the next one. The weather was hot, I got cut short a lap, the pace went out slow, every excuse in the book. I finished my collegiate career healthy with so many goals left on the table, wondering what was next.

When did you start chasing the OTQ and what inspired you to try?
After college, I decided I still wanted to train and have a coach. I joined my DWRunning team and decided to move up in distance to change things up a little. The Fall of 2016 after I graduated, I ran my first half marathon at the Chicago Fall Half, and was the overall female winner! It was such an incredible feeling, something I didn’t feel for such a long time. Like my best was actually good enough. I then went on to run the Indy Monumental Half Marathon just a month after that, 1.5 minutes faster, in 1:19:09. It wasn’t until this race when I really felt like I could attempt to qualify for the marathon trials. Bigger miles, more consistent training, I was ready to work hard.  

Tell us about the races you attempted to OTQ at and the outcomes: 
Honestly I was scared to ever truly admit I was chasing after the OTQ. It was always something in the back of my mind but kept going into races just wanting to give my best. After Grandma's marathon in 2018, I ran 2:49:20, and thought that maybe a 2 year window could lead me to 2:45. 

My first real attempt at going after the OTQ was at the Indy Monumental Marathon in 2018. Training was going really well after Grandma's earlier that year. Unfortunately, I got sick just a few days before the race, got on the starting line to give myself a shot, but dropped out only a few miles in. While I had saved my body from any added stress, I woke up the next day feeling like I had run a marathon. I was tired, mentally and physically, but I wanted so badly to put my fitness to the test. 

Just a few days later, I registered to run CIM. I wanted redemption from a fluke race at Indy. Coming back was rough, little things in my body started popping up, a tweak in my foot which turned out being cuboid syndrome, then an IT band flare up on the other leg. I took it as a sign to take a break and move forward. It was during this little break that I got my period for the first time in 12 years. This is something I’m still learning how to train with and get used to again. 

I had registered for the 2019 Boston Marathon earlier in 2018 and wanted to have a fun race there. Fitness was coming along really well, and my coach and I decided to really race it, but I didn't have the added pressure because I had Grandma's Marathon as my goal race for the season. At Boston, I ran 2:51. Went out on pace for the first 18 miles, I really thought I was having an amazing day. I cramped up horribly and the last 8 miles of that race were a slog. I finished and could barely walk, I've never been so sore in my life. It took me about 2 weeks to recover from Boston and got right back into training. 

At Grandma's Marathon, I ended up running 3:09. Training was rocky but I really thought I had a chance. I started the race and immediately knew it wasn't my day. I don't know what it was but I didn't want to drop out. I walked more times than I can count. My heart just wasn't in it, but didn't want to give up on myself.

I was going to come back and run Indy again, but after dropping out the year before, I wanted to do something different. I knew CIM was fast, a lot of women were going to try and get their last chance qualifier there, and it would give me time to recover, mentally and physically. For the first time in over a year, I felt very confident going into the race. My long runs and workouts were going better than ever, I felt strong, and I was excited to race. Everything leading up to race day went so well, until race day morning. I woke up with my period, my stomach was cramping so badly. I started the race and after the first aid station, I got a horrible side stitch. Every time I tried to take in water or a gel, nothing would stay down. I puked all the way to 16 miles, before feeling totally depleted. I felt like I lost a huge opportunity, and this was one of my last chances. I just got horrible luck.

A few days later, I decided I wanted to run Houston. Regardless of the outcome, I just wanted to finish this journey feeling like I gave it my best effort, I would regret not trying. I ended up running 2:50:20. I ran most of the race with my teammate who went on to run a big PR, but I blew up the last 5 miles. I was feeling so strong the whole race until the final stretch running solo straight into the headwind. After I crossed the finish line, it felt like my senior year in college. I didn't know what was next, and I felt like I was chasing this big goal for so long. It was very emotional. 

What did you gain from this journey?
More than I can ever put into words. After my last race, I really had to think, what does running the OTQ really mean to me? As I went to Atlanta to watch the trials, this meaning really started to sink in. The trials is a celebration of all the hard work we put in, it's a 26.2 mile victory lap we get to celebrate with other strong women. The journey to get to the trials was the most inspiring part, more than the race itself. We all have our own story. We do everything we can to be our best and work towards being on that starting line, and even if we don't, we can still celebrate the incredible journey. I'm so thankful for all the amazing people I got to meet at races, working towards this big goal. And whether we qualified or not, the support and encouragement is unlike anything else. Most people won't remember times on the clock, they just want to see you happy. If you love the process, success will take care of itself, you just can't give up. 

Do you have any regrets or things you wish you'd done differently in your OTQ pursuit?
Not at all. I'm a firm believer in that everything happens for a reason. Every race I ran wasn't a failure, it was another learning experience. I feel like I'm stronger because of it. I'm healthy, able to train consistently, and love my team and coach. Sure when something doesn't work, we make tweaks in training and adjust, it's all part of the process. 

What message would you like to send to those following your running pursuits?
There are plenty of people that will tell you that you need to change. That if you did things differently, you could be so much better. But the truth is, you'll never find joy or success that way. Striving towards a big goal comes with any challenges along the way. You don't have to be perfect, but you can find something positive from every day. Remember that at the end of the day, we run for the love of it. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about what anyone else thinks, be true to yourself.

Tell us something unique about yourself:
I am obsessed with peanut butter, I eat it at least twice a day. I am an only child, and have lived in Chicago all my life. 

What's next for you?
I'm going to explore some ultra-marathon distances this year. 50k, 100k, I love putting in the miles and very excited to try something different! 

No comments:

Post a Comment