Wednesday, April 1, 2020

I had the MRI...

Getting the MRI was a saga in itself, but I had it on March 26 and received my results on March 31.

The good news!
No stress fracture or stress reaction.
No labral tear.
No bone death (avascular necrosis).
No torn muscles.
Nothing looks alarming.

The bad news!
No definitive diagnosis to explain why I still have pain even when I walk, and any activity with impact is definitely out the question.

The only abnormality was possible signs of hip impingement, which is generally something you're born with and doesn't come from over-use or running (although physical activity that extends the hip beyond it's normal range, like drills, could aggravate the situation).

None of the professionals I've seen have really been able to pinpoint anything, and I don't meet the diagnostic tests for anything, so it's frustrating.  I'm very thankful I don't have any of the "bad things" they were looking for, but none of possibilities thrown out there make sense.  It's also odd that a hip impingement issue would not bother me biking.

I started physical therapy on April 1 (not April Fools!).  The doctor said another option is to have a steroid injection to reduce inflammation in the area.  After how much pain I've had following the contrast injection I had prior to the MRI, I am certainly in no hurry to inject anything else in there, plus I'd always rather try more conservative treatments first.

This diagnosis doesn't seem very definitive and there is no clear timeline for when I'll be able to return to running (just when I'm pain-free).  I have a lot of follow up questions for the doctor now that I've processed and researched the issue (update:  follow up answers are here).

4 comments:

  1. I had a very similar injury in my L hip last year. I had MRIs of my lumbar spine, hip, and femur and they all came back basically normal, but it hurt to walk and running was out of the question. It was extremely frustrating to say the least. Finally I met an amazing PT who did a ton of physical manipulation to the hip. That, and a nice injection of cortisone into the hip, was the winning combo and I haven't had the pain come back since. So sorry to hear you're suffering from something similar. My advice is to get the cortisone shot. Not running sucks, and being in constant pain is physically and emotionally exhausting. Sending positive vibes your way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! This is very encouraging. The PT I just started with also did physical manipulation that helped at my first appointment yesterday. I had my husband do the same thing to me today, and afterwards walked without a limp for the first time since this whole thing started! It is primarily movements to get synovial fluid out of the joint, which allows new fluid to come in and can reduce inflammation. The PT also gave me nerve glide exercises to do at home.

      Delete
  2. I always prefer getting a diagnosis because I at least know what's going on and how to address the issue. It's frustrating when something hurts but there's no name to give it and you aren't sure the best way to address the issue. But I am super glad it's none of the terrible things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The amount of blood in the human body is generally equivalent to 7 percent of body weight. The average amount of blood in your body is an estimate because it can depend on how much you weigh, your sex, and even where you live. Visit my site how many pints of blood in the human body Thanks.

    ReplyDelete