Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Beyond Boston: Sherry Lee

A mutual friend introduced Sherry and I, and I related to her in many ways!  I remember running in 2003 when there was very little information online about how to train for anything, which is quite hard to imagine now.  She started running then in order to cheer for P. Diddy running the New York City marathon, and like most of us, was soon hooked for good.  She has been Boston streaking since 2015, after also running it in 2009 and 2010, and she plans to be part of history by running the first virtual Boston!  She checked breaking 3:00 off her list at CIM 2018 and plans to try to OTQ someday, but her biggest achievement may be her outlook, "I never want to be ungrateful for my health and ability to run." 

Introduce yourself (who you are, where you're from, what you do, etc.)
Hi, I'm Sherry Lee, a Christ-follower who loves running, surfing and traveling responsibly. I teach middle school PE and live in Cupertino, California, birthplace of your Apple products ;). My husband and I love adventures in our California backyard and around the world; running in the mountains and snorkeling and surfing in the ocean.

What are your thoughts on Boston 2020 being cancelled? How did you handle the initial postponement and eventual cancellation, mentally and physically?
Although running the Boston Marathon is usually a tradition I cherish, I think it was the best and safest decision for Boston 2020 to be cancelled. My husband and I still ran our own marathon in April so our training wouldn't go to waste, but it was just a leisurely run. I had a strong feeling that the initially postponed race would be cancelled, so I didn't get my hopes up. I honestly didn't mind because training in the hot, dry summer is rough. I just took the time to enjoy running our gorgeous San Francisco Bay Area trails and still continued my speed work, although the mileage was shortened.

Do you plan to run Boston 2020 virtually? Why or why not?
Yes, I plan on running Boston 2020 virtually although not at race pace. I want to keep up my Boston streak tradition. My first Boston Marathon was in 2009 and then 2010. An injury took me out of running for a while and I had to work my way back, but haven't missed Boston since 2015. The race reminds me to be grateful for each day that I am healthy enough to run. Also, I want to be a part of history by running the first ever virtual Boston Marathon!

Do you plan to run Boston 2021? Why or why not?
Yes, I plan to if I feel it's safe and to continue my Boston run streak tradition.

How did you get started in running? Tell us a little about your early running career through present.
I swam in high school and only ran a little bit as part of training. I didn't start running until I was in graduate school in New York City and I wanted to cheer on P. Diddy in the New York City Marathon in 2003. I thought if a "non-runner" like him could run a marathon, so could I. At that time, there was very little research I could do online to find any kind of training plan. In the words of Forrest Gump, "I just started running." 

I signed up for the half in the 2004 San Francisco Marathon. My goal was to run the half and be done with running. I finished in 1:56 and had so much fun, I signed up for my first full marathon. After running one marathon (more on that later), I was pretty content with just running the distance and never thought I could run any faster. It wasn't until I almost qualified for Boston when I realized a BQ could be a realistic goal for me. 

After qualifying in 2008, I went on to run 2 Bostons in 2009 and 2010, where I broke 3:30 but got injured and was unable to run the next 2.5 years. That was when I started dating my then boyfriend, now husband. Once I could start running again, I had to start from square one. My husband started coaching me and introduced me to speed work, fartleks, lactic threshold, and hilly tempo runs. Before I knew it, my personal bests in every distance started dropping and I started winning local races. I also joined my husband's Pacific Association USATF run club, Excelsior. 

My goal each year has always been dropping my marathon times, but I always thought breaking 3 hours would be a very lofty goal. In 2018, I finally broke 3 hours at CIM (another annual race on my racing schedule), finishing in 2:59:30. In the last few years, I also started a running club at the middle school where I teach. The club schedules weekly fun runs in between cross country and track season. I'm shocked and so encouraged at how many pre-teens want to run! It's a joy to share my passion with them.
                                                    
Why did you decide to run your first marathon?
After I ran my first half marathon in 2004, I decided to add “running a marathon” to my bucket list. I thought that after that, I would be done with running and be satisfied. After crossing the finish line at the 2005 LA Marathon in 4:15, I was instantly hooked on the marathon distance. I dedicated each mile to something or someone in prayer while running. It was very meditative for me, so the goal wasn’t about time. I loved running the long distance, the spectators cheering for random strangers, and runners sharing in the suffering. I truly embraced the pain afterward. I loved being sore and knowing that my body could be pushed to its limit.

When did you set the goal of qualifying for Boston and what inspired you to try?
When I lived in New York City, I visited my cousin a few times who was attending Wellesley College. She was the one who actually told me about Boston and the Wellesley scream tunnel. After I ran my first marathon, she told me that I should try to qualify, but I told her that there was no way that I could even get close to the qualifying time! It wasn't until December 2007 when I accidentally broke 4 hours for the first time and ran 3:48 at CIM, that I realized I could probably qualify for Boston in my next marathon. Back then, the qualifying time for 18-34 year olds was a bit easier, 3:40 for women and a guaranteed entry if you ran under that time.
What was your journey to BQ like?
Before 2007, my goal in each marathon was just to finish and enjoy each step. After CIM 2007 where I shaved 25 minutes off my prior PR, I thought I was really close to a BQ. I decided to set the goal and train to BQ in early 2008. GPS watches weren't that common yet, so a lot of my training was around a 2-mile lake where I would just estimate what my pace was using my classic digital watch. The biggest part of my journey was the support of my friends, who really encouraged me in my training and celebrated with me when I finally qualified at the 2008 San Diego Marathon in 3:38.

Why did you decide to run Boston 2020?
For the same reasons why I would run Boston 2021, but also, of the 37 marathons I've run, Boston is by far my favorite and most memorable. The city transforms into a running mecca and the spectators make you feel so special. Since I'm probably more likely to be struck by lightning than to ever make it to the Olympics, Boston will probably be the closest I'll ever get to feeling like an Olympian (although if my aging body lets me, I will attempt to OTQ one day!).  Being surrounded by other runners, who also had to train so hard to qualify, gives me a sense of camaraderie and understanding for one another.
How did it feel to be accepted into Boston 2020?
It felt great to be running my 8th Boston, albeit virtually! Each year I feel it’s such a privilege to be accepted and I don’t take it for granted. I still get goosebumps on the day I receive the official Boston letter of acceptance in the mail. I never want to be ungrateful for my health and ability to run.

What did you learn from this journey - from BQ to postponement to cancellation?
I used to burn out by the end of every Boston training cycle and just couldn't wait for the race so that I didn't have to push my body so hard once it was over! After Boston was postponed, I could have taken a rest but found myself continuing to train at a high level with hard quality workouts. I usually take the time in between training cycles to just run leisurely, but now without knowing when the next race will be, I'm realizing I want to keep my speed so my body doesn't forget what it feels like!

You can learn more about Sherry's running on her awesome YouTube channel!

3 comments:

  1. Sherry, you are such an inspiration! To me and your friends, and of course to your students. You only hinted at all the hard work you've put in, cheerfully running Jonathan's (your hubby and trainer) Kipchoge-inspired daily workouts. And you still have time for the most amazing world travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! It is such an honor to be called someone's inspiration from doing something that I love, although I must say that I wasn't always cheerfully running those hard workouts, haha! Jon and I are always looking forward to our family trip and running with you!

      Delete
  2. inspring!!! <3 and a great blog by Sara!

    ReplyDelete