Monday, June 29, 2020

Beyond Boston: Devra Leach

Richard White, another runner featured in this series, connected me to Devra (they ran a virtual Boston on Patriot's Day together!), and she mentioned she recognized my name from when we went 1-2 in the 2015 Bass Pro Marathon.  Small world!  Devra has run 5 Bostons and expresses that the experience is like no other!  She plans to run 2020 virtually (again!) but also hopes to go back in 2021.
Introduce yourself (who you are, where you're from, what you do, etc.)

My name is Devra (Gower) Leach and I’ve lived in the Branson/Hollister, Missouri area most of my life. I am the Group Benefits Department Manager at Connell Insurance as well as a Group Benefits Consultant. I also “serve” as the wellness “inspirerer” (not sure that’s a word) within our organization and for some of my groups. I have been married for 3 years to a husband who is very supportive of my (running) habit and we have dog, Jaxson who is like our child. In my spare time, I am a Group Cycling Instructor at the Cox Fitness Center in Branson. I love running but also do a lot of biking and will hopefully be participating in my 11th Bike MS this year. I participate in 2-3 marathons and several charity biking events each year.

What are you thoughts on Boston 2020 being cancelled? How did you handle the initial postponement and eventual cancellation, mentally and physically?
Now, I “get it” but when the announcement came 5 weeks prior to the Boston Marathon, I was angry. I honestly thought people were blowing all of this COVID stuff out of proportion. I and a couple others that I train with had been training for months and working towards a PR. I had been pushing myself with speed work to try and achieve a 3:17. 

When the news came, besides being angry, I felt lost. What do I do now?? Not only had I been preparing and training so hard to reach a goal, I was looking forward to a long weekend away in one of my favorite cities with my husband as we don’t get a lot of time to travel or really spend together. 

But I decided I was not going to let all that training be for naught. I had a goal, I had put way too much blood, sweat, tears (literally) and time in to just quit. So I continued training and ran the "Boston Marathon" in Branson on April 20th with Richard White. Well, we started at the same time and same place but had our own course we felt comfortable with. I did not run a 3:17 but a 3:23. There was nothing pushing me other than my determination and knowing that I worked for this. There were no crowds to cheer me on to push me faster to that finish line. And there were hills! More hills than in Boston! (editor's note: the Branson area is extremely hilly!)

Do you plan to run Boston 2020 virtually? Why or why not?
I do plan to run the Virtual Boston even though I feel like I kinda did that back in April. 😜 But I will be joined by thousands of runners across the country or even the planet for this accomplishment. I honestly never got the appeal of running a virtual race but It’s BOSTON! You still get your medal, a shirt, your bib AND counted as completing the 124th Boston. I am hoping I’ll get my 2020 sticker too. I have all 5 of my Boston stickers on my car. I actually totaled my car when I hit a deer back in November and I was so upset I would lose all my stickers. I reached out on FB through the Boston Buddies page and so many people responded willing to give up their stickers from past years that I was able to replace all of them and even ended up with a few extras. How cool is that?! Boston runners unite!

Do you plan to run Boston 2021? Why or why not?
I sure hope so! My qualifying time from the NYC Marathon was good enough to get in this past year (even though it was a disappointing time for me) and as long as they don’t “tweak” any of the timing qualification for this year (which I can’t imagine with this situation, why they would), I should be able to get in. 

There is something so exciting about filling out your entry right at the second it opens and hitting that send button and the anticipation of actually getting in. I’ve had my husband and a friend two different years ready with my info and card number at the exact second registration opened as maybe I was in meetings or on the road for work. Haha! 

There is something so special about Boston! It’s the marathon of all marathons! It was a goal of mine to qualify for years but that just isn’t enough. And people don’t even realize that just because you qualify, you might or might not get in. You’ve got to be better than the best and better than you were the year before (until you hit the next age bracket). 

If you’ve never been there or never experienced the Boston Marathon, there is just no explaining it. I tear up anytime I’m there or watch a documentary on it. My first year there was the year after the bombing and the city was so welcoming and so happy people came back. I was surprised at how friendly the people were and was not expecting that the next year I returned thinking it was because it was that first year back. But no, they love the marathon and the runners. The excitement and the energy of the weekend is unexplainable.

How did you get started in running? Tell us a little about your early running career through present. Why did you decide to run your first marathon?
I had a couple of friends I met at the gym who were casual runners. When they tried to get me to sign up for my first marathon I thought, why would anyone pay money to do something you can do for free?? Then the day came that they went to run the marathon and I felt so left out and regretful. That was maybe early 2000’s. I ran my first half marathon, yes my first race ever was a half in STL in 2007 (I think) and that was it, I was hooked. Crossing that finish line was like crack! I have since run close to 30 marathons, 24ish half marathons, one ultra (50K) and several other smaller races in between. I ran Chicago once and was supposed to last year again but had to defer to this year due to an injury. I am sure Chicago will be canceled as well this year, unfortunately. I ran NYC in 2018 which was also a bucket list marathon but honestly I was so disappointed compared to Boston.

When did you set the goal of qualifying for Boston and what inspired you to try?
I’m not really sure when I decided but it had to have been after I ran the Disney Marathon in 2009 with a few weeks left to train after I had suffered a stress fracture and I still beat all my friends by a long shot. I qualified in 2012 at the Kansas City Marathon with a 3:28. I was ending a long term relationship and I guess I just had the determination and drive to set new goals and push towards something huge – Boston!

Why did you decide to run Boston 2020? How did it feel to be accepted into Boston 2020? 
Now that I’m older, it’s a bit easier to qualify but I don’t just want to BQ each year now, I want to shatter that qualifying time so I have the cushion I need to guarantee my entry. It is so exciting and still shocking each time I’ve gotten the news that I’ve been accepted. It’s like I’m going to the Olympics – it’s kind of a big deal. 

What did you learn from this journey - from BQ to postponement to cancellation? ?
This journey has taught me to not sweat the small stuff. I’m not the only one that got their Boston Marathon canceled. There are those that this was to be their first time after taking years to qualify. Now that would be disappointing. I’ve been very pleased with how BAA is handling it and offering refunds and the opportunity to still earn our spot next year as well as earn our medals and recognition for completing the 124th Boston. There are far worse things to deal with right now. I just wish I could get my airfare back!

No comments:

Post a Comment