Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Post-Race Insomnia: The Struggle is Real!

The night of the Bass Pro Marathon in 2016, I did not sleep a wink (and one year later I've decided to write about it).  I ended up learning a lot about post-race insomnia that night via Google!  I specifically recall reading this article, this blog, and this plea to Runners World, among other information that night.  It was comforting to know that it wasn't just me, but if you have to have a night of not sleeping, the night after a marathon is one of the worst times to have it!

I slept very little the night after every marathon I've run since 2015, averaging 2-3 hours a night even with taking Melatonin and trying other sleep aid medications.  It was the worst after Bass Pro 2016, probably because I was berating myself about my wrong turn the whole night, but I've never been able to sleep anywhere nearly enough after my past several marathons.  I did not run any marathons between 2012-2014, but back in 2011 and before this was not a problem!  About half the time I've had continued difficulties sleeping 2 nights afterward, and I've never been able to nap the next day despite the sleep deprivation.  After half marathons, it's been about 50/50 on whether or not I'll sleep alright (this season it's been 100% sleeping, though, possibly because I've taken Melatonin every time).  After shorter distances I'm typically fine, except for if a 10K starts after 9:30 p.m.  This never happens to me after long training runs or workouts, thank God.

Apparently being unable to sleep after intense efforts is related to adrenaline and cortisol, as explained here.  To me it also makes a lot of sense from an evolutionary perspective; surely no one would run that far at that intense of a pace unless her life was in grave danger, so surely sleep soon after would result in further risk to her life!  I go to a slightly higher level of exertion during racing than during training, as one should, so that explains why this only happens after races.  I am not the best sleeper in the world at anytime, but on a "normal" day if I take a Melatonin it will assuredly knock me out.  I only take it 1-2 times a month, though (after every half marathon these days!).  I rely on laying in bed reading to help me sleep -- and it does, provided that I have not raced a long race that day.

I'm not sure I'll find a solution to this, but I have certainly learned that I should always take the day after a marathon off work!

Have you had post-race insomnia?
The look of someone who does not suffer from insomnia

5 comments:

  1. Opposite. I just want a long, long nap and then sleep some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's much more common in females -- but so are sleep issues in general so it makes sense. Count yourself blessed!

      Delete
  2. Don’t you wish you could sleep anywhere, anytime like a child?! I’ve never had this problem but I haven’t run a marathon in 8 years so we’ll see what happens next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you don't have this problem with two young children to care for the next day! Not sleeping always wrecks my patience. I am SO EXCITED for your marathon! You're officially tapering, wahoo!

      Delete
    2. I feel like I’ve been tapering for like 5 weeks now bc I haven’t done speed work in that long! I’m definitely excited and ready!

      Delete