Monday, June 15, 2020

Beyond Boston: Richard White

I met Richard through my local running club, and through running several of the same local marathons (including Bass Pro 2015, which we ran mostly together!).  I've always been impressed with his marathoning ability, and that he just always seems to keep going!  His Boston streak is very cool, and I think he should be an official B.A.A. ambassador.  I know that pretty much everyone in our local running club looks up to Richard.
It may be impossible to top this Boston photo

I have lived in the Branson, Missouri area most of my life. I worked for Skaggs Hospital in the laboratory for many years. I am currently a chemistry teacher at Hollister High School. 

I started running over 20 years ago when my Dad died unexpectedly of a heart attack. I was overweight and wanted to get healthy. Soon I was running marathons and broke 3 hours at the Little Rock Marathon in 2011. 

My first Boston Marathon was in 2009. I loved everything about it and have run in every Boston since for a total of 11 consecutive Boston Marathons. I was surprised when the B.A.A. postponed the marathon this year. Historically, it has always been held on Patriot’s Day despite any unforeseen circumstances. I have run Boston during a heat wave when they cautioned runners against running. I ran in 2018 when a freezing torrential downpour caused many runners, including professionals, to drop out. I ran the year terrorists' bombs killed 3 and maimed hundreds. Then we ran again the next year to show that we cannot be intimidated by cowards. 

The motto of the Boston Marathon has always been “The show must go on”. When everyone was speculating whether the race would be held as usual this year, I said yes. I was wrong. It took a microscopic virus to postpone and ultimately cause the marathon to be held as a virtual event. This reminded me of the movie “War of the Worlds”. 

The Boston Marathon is an awesome event that never ceases to challenge me. I will run the virtual event in September and will run again on Patriot’s Day in 2021. I plan to continue my running streak as long as the Good Lord allows and have no doubt that the marathon will throw me many curve balls along the way. I’m counting on it. 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to beat his photo submissions!

      Delete
    2. No way, Shalane and Kara are 2 of my all-time favorite runners!

      Delete