Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Heat of the Moment (Marathon Week!)

Week of February 20-26, 2017, i.e., BMO Mesa-Phoenix Marathon week!!!!!!!!!!!

Mileage:  48.2, via 6 days or not much/nothing, plus one PR marathon!

Monday - 4.1 mile shake out (7:41).  I usually don't run on Mondays, and I usually don't run 4 miles and do nothing else any day, so this was out of the natural order of things!  My glutes were still a tiny bit sore from Friday's bootcamp; often I get a little sore for a day after bootcamps, and I think the 20 x 400 workout I did on Saturday prolonged it this time.  Post-bootcamp soreness never seems to hurt my running (I was pretty sore from it when I ran the Hardest Workout Ever), and bootcamp is part of my routine, but nonetheless I didn't exactly like being a tad sore so close to my marathon!

Tuesday - 7.5 miles total, with my final tune-up workout of 2 miles warm-up, 2 miles at 6:30, 1 mile recovery, half mile at sub-6:00, 2 miles cool-down.  I ended up with 7.5 miles at 7:00 pace exactly, with the 2 mile tempo in 6:28/6:20 and the half mile in 2:46 (5:32 pace).  Although the tempo was a little faster than what my coach gave me, it was still not much considering that I was hoping to run 26.2 at 6:35 pace.  I kept telling myself not to push on the 2 miles, and that I would throw down when it came time for the half mile hard.  The half mile was fun and also the fastest I've run a half mile repeat as an adult, I think.  In high school I think I used to run 4 x 800 m at that pace or faster, back when I had speed for racing 1600 m and 3200 m.

Wednesday - 5.1 miles base pace (7:05) with Danielle and Amy R.  Amy had a 7 mile tempo at 6:55-7:10 pace and asked for my help, and I was happy to oblige for 5 miles of it (no taper cheating for me!).  Danielle went the whole way with her, plus warm-up and cool-down, so I was glad that worked out.  This run felt good - I was a little concerned about jumping right into that pace range, as my base runs often end around that pace, but start closer to 7:30-7:40, but I was fine.

Thursday - Off -- i.e., light elliptical for 15 minutes to keep up the workout streak (going strong since 1/1/14), along with my usual stretching and foam rolling.  This day also included a flight to Phoenix with some travel snafus (in the end, I ate dinner from McDonalds around midnight and got to bed at 1:00 a.m.).

Friday - 2.4 mile shake out with 4 strides (7:06). I know I'm tapered when my easy pace is 6:45, after a warm up mile. The journey is the reward, and I sure felt appreciative of this one.

Saturday - BMO Mesa-Phoenix Marathon in a massive PR of 2:49:20 (6:27.5 average pace)!  If you follow me on Strava, Facebook, or Instagram, this is old news by now, haha!  It was such a blessing to have everything align on race day.

My half splits were 1:25:45 and 1:23:35, and I was pretty proud of my pacing and that negative split, and I finished feeling strong with a 6:10 final mile.  I was 6th overall female and 1st in age group 35-39...and consistent with how I seem to pick marathons, my time would have won overall female in this race most past years, and would have placed in the top 3 every year except this one (it always just depends on who shows up)!  I'd have been ecstatic about a 2:49 even if it was dead last, however!  In case you're doing the math on my mileage, I also did a really easy paced 1 mile jog and plyometrics prior to the race.

It's still all sinking in, and I never in my wildest dreams thought I would see a 2:49 on a marathon finishing clock.  Multi-part race reports coming, but suffice to say I was thrilled with this result and it was truly by God's grace that I was able to cover 26.2 miles at that pace and feel good the whole way!

Fall in love with the process and the results will come!

Sunday - 2 mile recovery (9:06).   Bye, Phoenix - you've sure been good to me!

Happiness is a new marathon PR

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing! I was still bragging on you today. I'm so proud of you, your work ethic, how you pour your heart into running, and how you share your joy and your optimism with others. It has been a blessing to have run with you in the past and to know you! I love the dream big motto and love that it is coming to fruitition for you! I remember when I thought you were crazy for wanting to break 3 hours as that was so insanely fast and here you are 4 minutes from an Olympic qualifying time! Dream big and work hard!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Liz! Even better than any PR is all of the wonderful people I've met through running, including you! Aren't runners such a great group? I can't wait to see what YOUR new half PR is here pretty soon!!!

      Delete