Sunday, May 28, 2017

Commence Heat Training: Iron Horse 5K

I hate last minute changes in plans except when they involve adding races!  We'd been planning a trip to my in-law's for Memorial Day weekend for several weeks, but I didn't plan on running the Iron Horse 5K until a few days before the event.  My sister-in-law was running it and her oldest daughter was running the Kids K, Albani wanted to run the 1K as well, and I figured there was no reason for me to go to the race and not run it, since I'd of course be running that morning anyway.

I had a 12 mile relaxed long run on my schedule, so I asked my coach about running the 5K as a tempo effort in the middle of it.  I have a goal race next weekend (June 3), so I didn't want to push too hard; I find I have a hard time gearing up to race all-out two weekends in a row, even if one or both races are short.  I used think I could do this just fine, so I am not sure what's changed, but I sure learned a lesson from stacking the Wash U 10,000 m and the Rock the Parkway half (both races I wanted to PR in, although the weather said "no ma'am" to that in the latter anyhow) back to back earlier this season.  My coach said the tempo plan was fine, but that I might not feel fresh for it coming off of Tuesday's tempo.
I was more enthusiastic before I started running
On race morning, I was so glad I wasn't planning an all-out race or PR attempt, because it was sticky!  It was 75* with 92% humidity, and these conditions are always much harder for me in May than in August.  I'd run in long sleeves twice during the past week (44* and 46*), and aside from a couple of easy 3-4 mile second runs at 70-80* recently, I haven't run in anything over 60ish.  In short, I am not heat adapted yet!  I'm typically a decent heat runner, but I need a couple of weeks to get used to it, and my first runs in it are always a battle (I'm not sure high humidity ever gets easy either!).  It's also ideal to ease into running in the heat with easy efforts, as opposed to running hard or long workouts in it right away.  So I did the logical thing and started with a long run that included a hard effort, hah.

Ugh.
On my warm-up, I knew the race could be a struggle!  During my uptempo warm-up mile, 6:31 felt much harder than it should have; I was thinking "How on earth did I run a marathon averaging faster than this pace?!" and "Am I even going to run this 5K under 20?!".  Originally my tempo plan had been to start at 6:00ish, and then step down to 5:57 and 5:55 for miles 2-3, but as I ran my warm-up I started doing the math on what exactly I needed to run to do an 18:59 (6:06 average is the answer).  I also ran the course and realized it would be difficult to negative split on because of the decline in mile 1 and incline in mile 3.  I timed my warm-up to go pretty much straight into the race so I wouldn't split up my long run mileage, so I drank some nuun and lined up, already drenched in sweat.
Here we go!
Very serious at the start
As usual, many runners started out too fast, and I spent the first half mile or so moving up as everyone sorted out.  After that I found myself behind 5 men, 2 of whom were in tri suits so who were clearly doing the duathlon that was also taking place (5K run/20 mile bike/5K run).  I paced with one for a bit but felt him slowing so moved along.  I passed the other duathlon guy shortly after the 1 mile.  I then leap-frogged with another guy for the remainder of the race; he would go on to out-kick me -- he was 15 years old so there was never any hope for my kick bettering his!  After mile 1 I knew I'd be lucky to keep it at 6:00 pace and would probably not be dipping under.  During mile 3 I found myself wondering, "Exactly how slow can I run this last mile and still be in the 18s?" -- and my estimate was 6:15, which was pretty accurate; usually my math is not that good during races.  I wasn't in the mindset to kill myself during the final mile so I didn't.  I finished in 18:52 (6:03 average), first overall female with three men ahead of me.  Official results are here.  Luckily for my sweat-drenched self, part of my award was an electrolyte replacement drink mix!
Clock shot
Awards
Awards minus the re:play
Since this was a workout race, I was fine with it -- although admittedly I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't even quite match the tempo pace I held for almost twice the distance on Tuesday's 6 mile tempo run.  But I guess that was the difference between 58* and 75*!  I also ran a positive split (5:56, 6:04, 6:09, final bit at 5:44), but I blame the course mostly for that because we dropped 52 ft over a gradual decline going out, and then came back up the incline coming back; it was gradual so deceptive, but I was glad to see it in my Garmin elevation data because I sure felt it in mile 3!  This calculator says in the conditions I had, I should plan to slow from 6:00 tempo pace to 6:10 tempo pace, so that's encouraging and perhaps my effort was more like 5:53 pace (it sure felt more like 5:53 pace!).  It was also another good reminder that my coach puts my schedule together much better than I do; my plan wasn't set up for me to race on this day, and I didn't feel race-ready, but when he has me scheduled for a race I typically feel ready to go.  This doesn't mean I won't add any more last minute races like this (because they are fun!), just that I will add them knowing I won't be at my best for them.

After I finished I drank some more nuun and headed out for what ended up being 5.2 more miles.  I then watched Albani run the Kids K (1 kilometer).  She had a fun time and didn't complain about the weather at all, so I tried to take a lesson from her!  Her race wasn't timed, the finishing clock was on the duathlon, I didn't think to start a watch for her race, and Jon forgot to stop the timer he started, so we are bad parents and have no idea what time she ran.  Luckily all that mattered to her was the finishers medal!  Photos of her race are below -- I also ran out on the course with her to get some shots.

Overall it was a nice event and very well organized.  I've never run it before, and may not have the chance again for awhile, because I typically attend the Applied Behavior Analysis International convention over Memorial Day weekend -- so I'm glad I gave it a go!  I raced a 5K as a tempo within a long run in June 2016 in similar warm and humid conditions (also a pretty similar course), and I did that one in 19:35ish so it's nice to know that my times under similar circumstances have dropped (except I did go to bootcamp the day before this time, I guess in an effort to make sure my legs were totally shot, bahaha!).  I spent 2015 striving to break 19:00 in the 5K and always coming up short -- almost always with 19:0X (and not actually hitting the 18's during a 5K race until a low-key one in October 2016)  -- so that made me thankful for this one too.  I just can't think about how my big dream 5K goal is to run 57 seconds faster (that's a ton in a 5K!)!







3 comments:

  1. It was sooo humid this weekend! I just had an easy long run on Saturday morning and my shorts and shirt were soaked all the way through with sweat!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooooo sticky! Summer's here I guess! As long as we push through, our times will drop when the temperatures drop, right?

      Delete
  2. Derailed my half marathon time trial by 5+ minutes, and it wasn't even as bad as yours. Can't wait to get through summer already (and it's still spring!).

    ReplyDelete