Thursday, July 6, 2017

All the compression socks

I am obsessed with a huge fan of compression socks.  I like to run in them and recover in them; the latter has much more research-base supporting its effectiveness, but I think they help me during my runs too -- even if that's a placebo effect, believing I'll perform better can't be a bad thing, right?  I also think they're helpful when traveling and in other situations where I'm sitting for longer than normal (e.g., attending a conference or meetings during which my standing desk is not an option!).  Here are my thoughts on the five different brands I own, in alphabetical order.  I do not receive free products from any of them (although I wish I did!), so this is unbiased.

CEP
Size:  womens II
Pros:  thick in the toe and heel areas, perfect tight fit
Cons:  pricey, lack of cute patterns, slightly too long for me
When I choose these:  marathons in which maximal blister protection is needed (warmer temps, net downhill)
When I wouldn't choose these:  when I'm being frugal (the main reason I don't own more pairs than I do currently) or when I want fun patterns
Related story:  I wore these for my first sub-3:00 marathon and for my first (and only, so far) sub-2:50 marathon

Crazy Compression
Size: XS
Pros:  great fit, super cute designs including holiday/seasonal patterns, frequent discount codes offered, thinner fabric is nice in warmer weather
Cons:  thinner than the other brands; I have never gotten a hole in them, but I also haven't had mine that long
When I choose these:  in warmer weather and when I feel like looking playful
When I wouldn't choose these:  since I haven't run over 17-18 miles in them yet, I wouldn't wear them for a marathon at this point, but I will be testing them on more long runs
Related story:  I wore these for the Rock the Parkway half, and had many, many people compliment me on them during the race!

Newzill
Size:  womens S
Pros:  thicker overall, feel well-made and durable, a few cute patterns, free shipping and/or discount codes frequently offered
Cons:  thicker fabric is not ideal in warmer temps, only a few colors and patterns are currently available, no XS option, slightly too long for me in the foot and calf, not quite as tight-fitting as I prefer (i.e., I won't buy any more until they start selling XS)
When I choose these:  in cooler temps
When I wouldn't choose these:  in warmer temps
Related story:  My training partner Danielle, who is a 3-time USAT Duathlon National Champion, is a brand ambassador for Newzill and also the reason I ended up with a few pairs of these.  I've had these less than 2 months, and it's been warm, so I haven't worn them that much yet.

Pro Compression
Size:  XS
Pros: perfect fit for me in tightness and height, many cute designs including holiday/seasonal patterns
Cons:  not as thick as CEP and Newzill in the toes
Disclaimer:  I own by far the most Pros, because I buy them on eBay for under $10 a pop.  They are marked as irregular in pattern only (not in fit), but I've never been able to find anything actually wrong with them, and if you know how picky I am that's saying something.
When I choose these:  most of the time, because I own so many pairs
When I wouldn't choose these:  for a marathon when maximal blister protection is desired; I have worn these for marathons with temps in the 40s-50s and in half marathons at all temperatures with complete success, but wouldn't run a 70 degree marathon in them
Related story:  I wore these the second time I broke 3:00 in the marathon, and for my PR half and second fastest half marathon.  I guess I meant business in those races, because I wore solid colors for them, but I've worn the heart, Christmas, and clover patterns for other races, many of which had no relation to actual holidays, haha!

2XU
Size:  XS
Pros:  perfect level of tightness, plain black available that works under work clothing better than patterns/colors
Cons:  different "models" are confusing, more expensive than most (but still cheaper than CEP), a bit thin like Crazy Compression
When I choose these:  for work
When I wouldn't choose these:  I don't run in my one pair of these, because I "save" them for work, but I think they'd work under most circumstances except for when extra blister protection is needed.
Related story:  Sorry, no fun facts about these!

For reference on the fits noted, my calf circumference is 12.5" at the widest point, I am 5'7", and I wear shoe size 9-10.  If your calves are smaller than mine, I would not recommend any of these brands, because I buy the smallest size available in all of them.  The upside is that the smallest size works even with my large feet!

From L to R: Newzill, CEP, Crazy Compression, Pro, 2XU

1 comment:

  1. Maybe a short note to these companies, reviewing your OTQ goal and PRs would be enough to have them send you some.

    ReplyDelete