Saturday, October 7, 2017

Panther Run 5K: A 5K at tempo is a 5K I can get behind!

There is no "the short" and "the long" on this one, because it's all pretty short!  I've lamented tirelessly about how I'm no good at 5Ks, but like with my September 2 5K, running a 5K at tempo pace makes it far more fun!  I decided to run this one because I needed one more short distance race for my running club's 2017 competition, it's a nicely put together local event, and I thought I could win some prize money without full-out racing it.  The weather was disgusting (70s and humid -- which you'd think we'd be through by October -- and a south wind around 15 mph with gusts of up to 30 mph), so I was awfully thankful this wasn't a goal race!
5Ks at tempo may also be the way to get decent professional race photos!
Run happy!  Wish this was a little more clear, but love my expression.
Start
I did a 2 mile warm-up, timed to finish about 5 minutes before the gun, and then got on the line.  My plan was to run about 6:00 pace, but if I had to run harder for the win I would.  For the first bit, there were 2 women out in front of me and several men.  I passed the women within the first quarter mile and many of the men.  I checked my watch and I was at 6:00 exactly - pacing by feel for the win!  I aimed to maintain even effort, and I passed 3 or 4 more men throughout the race.  The third mile was into the wind and I kept thinking "This feels harder than it should; I'm so glad I'm not running an 8 mile tempo today!"  I ended up with 3.16 miles at exactly 6:00 pace (I knew the course would read long, another reason I didn't want to race this one -- most others told me their Garmins had 3.2+).  I also netted the overall female win (4 men finished ahead of me).  Mission accomplished!
Coming into the finish
Pace goal accomplished, precisely, & the Panther Run shirt logo
After I finished, I ran back out on the course to run in my friend Amy in the 15K.  I met her with around a mile left (her race had started 20 minutes before mine) and tried to block the wind for her and also to clear the tangents for her since she was going through slower 10K and 5K runners.  She was 1st overall female in the 15K!  I ended up with a 3.1 mile cool down to finish out my mileage for the day.
Overall winners
Official results are here.  My official time was 19:01, so I clearly should have run a few seconds faster, but the finishing clock was on the 15K so I had no idea.  I'd already broken my streak of running 5Ks in the 18s with my Labor Day weekend 5K that I ran at half marathon pace, so I'll just remember the asterisks by my workout 5Ks!

I was glad to get this one in for my final short distance race in my running club's 2017 competition.  I would like to race a 5K all-out and rested at some point, but it just doesn't fit very well with marathon training, so I think I'll wait and try one on the track in the spring.  I had a really solid mile repeat workout on Wednesday that made me hopeful that I can break 18:00 in the 5K (5 x 1 mile, average 5:37, which was a workout PR).  I know that would not have happened in the Panther Run no matter what, with the weather, course, and my fatigue level, so I am glad I followed the tempo plan, and will be even more glad about it on tomorrow's long run!
Danielle rocked her first postpartum 15K!
Photobombed
Awards

4 comments:

  1. You're always in marathon training, Sara. That's why your 5Ks suffer. I'm not suggesting you switch, of course, but you could totally rock 3.1 if you spent a month or two focused on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think you're right about that, but I don't plan to find out - I ❤️ marathon training!

      Delete
  2. And you won by a lot! Awesome mile repeat workout!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thankful I did not have to work harder for it, that's for sure!

      Delete