Friday, May 27, 2022

Bill Snyder Highway Half

Have you ever run 12 miles into gale force winds? Because I now have!

Only a slight exaggeration. 😉

Miles from Mentor colors work well at K-State

This may be my shortest race recap in history - it's been a busy time and I don't have much to report on this one. Based on the women on the starting line and my non-peak state, I knew that winning masters was likely going to be the best I could come away with, and after mile 1 I felt my choices were to run all out and get 5th OAF and win masters, or to take it easier and potentially help a friend break 1:30, while still getting 5th OAF and winning masters. I chose the latter, also based on the 25 mph headwind and my residual fatigue from my sickly Boston.

Sarah (purple) and me (green & black rabbit) - she
came close to her PR even in that wind!

I was definitely trying to draft

Towards the end

Running 1:30:40 was harder than I expected, but having a significant headwind on a point-to-point course probably accounts for that! I love this race but even if I'd have run all-out I think I'd have come away with my slowest time on it (I was expecting 1:25ish without the wind). 

Finish in the stadium

My main reason for doing this race was a to take a little racecation, and I greatly enjoyed it with my friends Sarah and Sean - also kind of a going away party for Sean before he moves to St. Louis. My parents ending up meeting us in Manhattan, and there were a lot of memories and laughs for the weekend.

Awards with Coach Bill Snyder

Post-race with teammates

I raced in my rabbit gear but put on the
MfM singlet for post-race pics

I want to get back to where I'm confident I can compete when I'm on a starting line, instead of resigning to being unable to keep up with the other women who show up, but this wasn't the day for that. 

Results are here - I'm listed at 2nd masters but the OAF was also first masters so I got to move up.

K-State Insect Zoo

K-State Botanical Gardens

Manhattan Running Co.


1 comment:

  1. That sums up how I've felt in every race this year. Not sure that I can compete at the start line. It's super frustrating! I hope this is very short lived for you.

    ReplyDelete