Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Prairie Spirit 50k: Third Time's a Charm!

The Short:

I knew a PR was not in the cards for me at the 2023 Prairie Spirit 50k, so I set 3 goals that were challenging yet achievable: 1) win overall female, 2) run the second fastest female time ever run in Kansas, behind my own from last year, and 3) negative split. I am happy to report I accomplished all 3! I finished in 3:46:46, which is my slowest 50k - but it was my best executed one pacing-wise and considering everything, I am pleased! I really enjoy the 50k and hope I can run a faster one in the future, but finishing strong in this one and loving every moment were big victories.

Results are here.

My Strava activity is here.

Top 2023 North American ultra performances are here, and I currently sit at #10.

Top Kansas female ultra times are here (you have to click on 50k).

My mention by IRunFar is here.

Top course times are here.

My dad's video of the finish is here.

My photo documentary is here.

A video of the race highlights is here - I run by at 1:22 and you can see my dad hand me a bottle!

I never know what to do in finishing photos

The Long:

I vacillated back and forth on running this race more times than I can remember, and registered for it 6 days before the event after a coin flip. Lots of stories here, but in short, I didn't have the most planned training cycle. After my last 50k, I noted that I was going to work with a coach for my 2023 50k, but I did the opposite by not even planning my own build! But, I had adequate mileage, plenty of Saturday + Sunday long runs, a training marathon, and a "why not?" attitude. I didn't expect to match my 2022 performance, but I knew the distance wouldn't be a problem and hoped I could win.

I had one recent race under my belt, a 25k that did not go well. I also had a training marathon that felt amazing. My workouts started to come around about a month prior to the race, but I really wasn't sure what to expect. I had two rough marathons in 2022, so more than anything I needed a long race that I finished strong. It made sense to run conservatively, and I had a loose idea of what that would look like, but didn't have a typical OCD-Sara-plan. I was also in coaching-mode, as my friend Colin was running and I knew he was going to break the men's state record.

Pre-race

Race morning brought fabulous weather, though there had been a lot of recent rain, so the trail may have had more "give" than it would have in a perfect scenario. The race was supposed to start at 7:00 but got bumped to 7:15, which annoyed me particularly since I didn't find out until 6:58, but also because I was already going to be pushing it on having time to go back to my hotel to shower after the race. I did get in one more pee break, though!

I was the happiest one here

On the starting line, a man introduced himself to Colin and I, probably because he identified Colin as his competition. He also said something about going out at 6:20 pace and dropping to 6:00. Prior to this, I'd expected Colin to have a pretty easy win (I predicted 6:20 average for him), and I knew he would break the existing state and course records, but then I started thinking it would suck if this guy (Matt) broke them by more! After the gun, Matt was quickly out front, with Colin not far behind. I found myself in 4th overall, just behind Logan, who I'd run about 18 miles of this race with last year.

With race buddy Logan

Logan and I began chatting, and we both noted we planned to start conservatively and work down. It seemed pretty clear that Matt and Colin would be far ahead (which of course I knew about Colin before the race) and also likely that no one else was going to be close behind us. Logan and I settled in together, and soon found out that we had the exact same fueling strategy, a gel every 3 miles. The universe was definitely telling us to run together, and that's what we did! The miles flew by, we chatted, and I felt controlled and strong. A gel every 3 miles is a lot, and I felt like I was constantly eating, but I stayed on it (I got down 8.5 total during this race; couldn't quite manage to finish my last one). Logan was great company and we talked about a lot of topics, including me pointing out that I could be his mother - he is 23! My dad and pacer Andrea were at the first manned aid station at 10.8 miles to crew me, and my first bottle/gel hand off went seamlessly.

As Logan and I neared the south turn around (17.3 miles), I spotted Matt coming back towards us. Colin followed about 1:30 behind. I didn't know Matt, but he looked pretty young and I knew Colin would close strong, so I felt optimistic about Colin winning, which I told him. I very much wanted him to get those records - he would say I cared more about that than he did. When I hit 17.3, I picked up another bottle with gels attached from my dad, and my pacer for the final 13.8.

Smiles at the 23.8 aid station

Logan, Andrea, and I headed back north, and I felt pretty positive about "only" having 13 miles left! I felt strong and pushed the pace down a bit. It was fun to see all of the other runners on their way out and I learned I was leading the women by over 10 minutes. Conversation kept flowing, and I could tell I was feeling better than Logan but I hoped I could pull him along, at least to a marathon PR (I was expecting to come through at 3:10, which I did). Logan dropped off of us around 22. I thought about how there were "only" 9 more miles - single digits! - remaining.

At the marathon I knew I had 5 more good miles in me, which was something I hadn't been able to manage in a 50k before. I knew I had a significant lead on the second female, and I also thought I was on pace to be at least 5 minutes under what was at that time the second fastest women's Kansas time (3:52). As the final miles clipped by and I saw familiar sights, my recurring thought was "I feel SO much better than I did here last year!", "This is SO much better than last time," etc.. When I hit 30 I was ready to be done, but I also knew I was going to stay on pace. In the end, mile 1 was my slowest! My negative split was not large - I averaged 7:15 for the first half and 7:14 for the second - but I did it!

Finishing euphoria

When I came in, the announcer called me out as the first female 50k finisher, and also mentioned that I hold the women's 50k state record. I celebrated, was handed an award, and took advantage of the talented photographer at the finish, while also struggling to stand up. Matt congratulated me before I saw my dad and Colin (they'd been standing at the final turn so took a moment to get back to the finish), and I asked him how he did. I felt a little bad being so happy when he said he was second, but that meant Colin won! I have become more and more invested in the athletes I coach, and Colin's race was far more important to me than mine. He also ran exactly what I told him he could, 6:20 pace, for a 3:16:59. Now Miles from Mentor holds both male and female Kansas open state 50k records and Prairie Spirit 50k course records! We are accepting group sponsorship deals now. ;-)

Colin had been finished long enough to hold
 his award right-side-up; I had not

I hope to work my 50k time back down, and net some more sub-3 marathons, but I think this really went about as well as it could have right now. My heart rate (strap) was significantly lower than it has been before in 50ks, at only 150 bpm average, so that probably means I should have pushed harder, but more than anything I needed a long race that didn't go to crap. Next up, a 2:59 attempt...

I think it's clear I am going to need to run
3 more 50ks in Kansas...

I Run Far shout out


2 comments:

  1. Incredible race for both of you!!! I want to come run this one sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's a really nice trail and high likelihood of good weather. Of course, you should do Frisco too!

      Delete