Monday, April 11, 2016

Thumbs Down for this Week in Review

If I had to very succinctly describe my running career over the past 24+ years (I started at age 11!), I would call it:  High highs mixed with low lows and consistently inconsistent.

 

This past week was a low.  I planned to take a cut-back week and run around 45 miles.  I actually ran 18.1 miles (6 of it on the AlterG treadmill).  My peroneal tendon in my left leg is bothering me.  My last injury was my posterior tibial tendon in my right leg.  Right now this is just a self-diagnosis, but if feels much like my last tendon issue did after it had healed quite a bit (e.g., it’s hurting but I can walk fine).  So I am hoping that a week off now will take care of it, and I am grinning and bearing it.  I am super grumpy and irritable, though, and all I really want to do is stay in bed and eat sweets.  It is a miracle I’m doing any workouts, because I have a pretty big case of the I Give Ups at this point.  I skipped a 5K on Saturday because I felt it was too risky and not worth extra time off, but I am super upset about missing it.

 

Monday – 5.1 miles base pace (7:33) and 45 minutes bootcamp (the tendon was a little tight during this run as well as during my Sunday shake out the day before, but I thought it was just a little thing due to coming off of a big week)

 

Tuesday – 7 miles base pace (7:42) with hill pushes (this was supposed to be 10 miles and a farlek, but the tendon was worse and I knew better than to run hard and after it got worse during mile 7 I called it), then 20 minutes elliptical since I called my run early and had more time

 

Wednesday – 40 minutes on the spin bike with 10 x 1 minute intervals, and 30 minutes elliptical (I can sure tell I haven’t done a hard workout on the bike since I resumed running)

 

Thursday – 6 miles on the AlterG treadmill at 80% body weight (5:53 pace)…annnnnddd this even bugged my leg so I stopped at 6 miles; also 25 minutes elliptical because I felt like a slacker (not that this really helped, but you know!)

 

Friday – swam laps for 60 minutes with a pyramid interval workout to keep from going crazy (1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 lap pushes)

 

Saturday – 45 minute spin class, 50 minutes of functional strength training, 35 minutes elliptical – cross-training buffet at the Y while fighting back tears about missing a race!

 

Sunday – 40 minutes on the spin bike and 60 minutes elliptical

 

Honestly, at this point I am throwing the towel in on doing anything this season.  I will try to heal, get some base miles in my legs and increase distance and intensity gradually, and try to get back to race weight (these injuries and illnesses are not good for my waistline, because I turn to sweets in a seriously bad way!).  I’m registered for a half on May 1 and hopefully can still run it, albeit slowly.  Maybe my tendon will feel fine in a couple of days and I will take this back, but today it gets a big fat FAIL!



No comments:

Post a Comment