Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Easter Sun Run races: It seemed like a good idea at the time!

The short:

I thought it would be *fun* to race a 10K that started at 8:30 a.m. followed by a 2 mile that started at 10:00 a.m. -- and it was, after some second thoughts between the events!  My hope for the races was that I'd be able to run them at less than all-out efforts, in the midst of 6 weeks of heavy racing, and still win.  The reality turned out to be that I couldn't have come close to winning them even running all-out, but I netted easy 2nd overall female finishes in each race and was able to use them as a workout and take home some cash.  I averaged 6:16 pace for the "10K" and 6:02 pace for the "2 mile."  Since the wind was 30 mph, the temperature was 66-70*, I had a cold, and both courses were off (I unknowingly violated my Certified in '17 pledge, already), I was so thankful that these were not goal races.  I was also so thankful that I chose the Wash U Distance Carnival 10,000 m over the KT Woodman 10,000 m on April 14, because I had ideal weather for my goal 10K on the track, and the weather in Wichita for KT Woodman was not good!  God delights in the details of our lives -- even running -- and I thank Him for all of this, and for the true reason to celebrate Easter.

We celebrate because He lives!
The long:

I originally planned to run the 10,000 m in the KT Woodman track meet at Wichita State on April 14 while visiting my parents for Easter, but to make a long story short, my husband talked me into doing the Easter Sun Run 10K and 2 mile races on April 15 instead, since they offered prize money.  As race-day loomed and I came down with a sore throat and saw the warm and windy forecast, I was very happy that he'd convinced me to make this change to my spring schedule -- April 14 would not have been a good PR-attempt day! 

There is a reason that professionals don't race every weekend; you can't perform at your best in every race when racing that frequently, especially in longer events.  When I stacked my April schedule, I also told my coach which races I was okay with doing as workouts, and this was a workout one.  I planned to run the 10K at about half marathon pace ("long tempo pace"), and then the 2 mile at around 6:00 pace ("short tempo pace"), depending on how I felt and what my competition was like.  Based on past year's times, there was a chance I could win both races with this pace plan.  But, like all plans based on your competition, it all depends on who shows up, and you never know how things will pan out until the race is happening!  I knew I would have to gauge my strategy when the race started, and also that I would not go out any faster than 6:05 in the 10K no matter what.

Best starting line photo ever; 1st female on my left hand side
Both Jon and Albani were quick to point out a lady who looked fast on the starting line of the 10K.  Albani said, "Just try to get second behind the Kenyan, Mama", which made me laugh at yet another thing she said that sounded like Jon (she says exact phrases of his all.the.time.).  But after the gun it quickly became clear that Albani's plan would be my goal; the fast-looking female shot out at a pace I knew I couldn't match even if I went for a 10K PR.  I settled in around my half pace as planned, and after things sorted out, before the mile mark, that put me in second female overall.

I generally have an easy time finding and sitting at half pace, so I just settled in without needing my watch.  I was completely alone in the race after about 1.5 miles, aside from passing a young man around mile 3, who I encouraged to come with me (he did for 200 m or so).  Jon and my dad were out on the course in a spot the race looped by three times, and Jon told me that I had a solid second and could just relax each time I passed them.  I thought, "well, I might as well slow down to 6:30 pace, this wind sucks," and I would think I'd eased up but still be around 6:15 when my watch beeped.  The course mile markers were all over the place, with the 1 mile coming when my Garmin was at 0.9, the 2 mile coming at 2.2, etc. so I disregarded them.  Jon later told me that one race official came running over to another saying, "If you have them follow those cones around that way, it's going to be long."

When we came around mile 4, I noticed that we were turning a different way than the course had turned last year, but there were a lot of cones in the area so I asked the volunteer "Which way?" to ensure I was following the correct path.  We did an extra loop that we had not run last year; I knew exactly the "around that way" the race official was talking about when Jon told me the story above.

Around mile 5
I saw Jon and my dad for the last time around mile 5, and Jon told me, "You can go as slow as you want on the last mile", which was a slight exaggeration but nice to know.  I was in a rhythm and wanted a solid tempo effort, so continued on but didn't push all-out.  I knew that 6:15 pace was a high 38, so I was surprised when I saw the finishing clock in the high 39's as I was coming in.  I then realized that it was the extra loop!  I thought the course was certified, because in 2016 it was and it also read at 6.18 on my conservative Garmin last year (side note: I completely bombed this race last year).  Afterwards I looked at the website to see that it was not noted as certified this year, and then I looked at my Garmin maps from both years to confirm that we did run farther "around that way" this time.  So I already screwed up my Certified in '17 campaign, but we will just say I took Jon's exception for a prize money race!  My official time was 39:48, which was a bummer because it's not a strong time for my running club's Runner of the Year competition, but at the same time I'm just thankful it wasn't a goal race or a day I'd have run a PR.  A fast male won, then the fast female (a WSU alum now living in Iowa) with another male right on her tail (3 minutes ahead of me and why I couldn't see anyone), then me in 4th overall/2nd female overall.

After the race I ate some fruit, drank some nuun energy, and hustled over to watch Albani do the kids' Easter egg hunt.  Then I started running an easy cool-down/warm-up.  I got a horrible side stitch running it, and had to stop and walk when I was running 8:30 pace!  I told my family that I wasn't even going to run the 2 mile if I kept having the cramp.  It went away, then came back again.  I was able to finish my 2 mile jog between races but only with walk breaks!  In the end I decided to line up for the 2 mile since I was entered, and just use it as a cool-down if I still had the cramp, since I needed the mileage anyhow.

Creepy bunny at the egg hunt
I saw the gal who'd won the 10K lined up for the 2 mile, so my goal was to either to get 2nd or to have a nice cool-down if I cramped again.  There were a lot of kids in the race who started out super fast, so most of the first mile was spent passing them.  Luckily, my side ache did not come back and I was able to pursue 2nd.  There were young girls ahead of me for the first mile, but I moved into 2nd shortly after the mile mark and felt fine enough.  I wasn't too surprised when my Garmin beeped 2 miles quite a bit out from the finish line, but again was disappointed my official time of 12:39 wouldn't be helpful for the Runner of the Year competition (Garmin splits at 6:02 average).  I was again 2nd female, with 4 men in front of me.

What I learned/was reminded of from these races:
  • This race is a really fun family event, with the Easter egg hunt, face-painting, playground equipment, and a BBQ for runners and spectators afterward.  My family really enjoyed it and Albani got a bounty of Easter candy!
  • I will never use this 10K as a goal race (nor would I use this 2 mile as a goal race, but I don't think I'd ever have any 2 mile as a goal race).
  • Wichita is always windy.
  • The first races of the season at 66-70* are a challenge, but I'm ready to get heat-adapted.
  • Aside from the physical factors involved in racing often, it's also hard to gear up for races week after week.  I was so thankful I wasn't planning to race these all-out, because I just don't think I could have done it mentally or physically.
  • 4 out-of-town races in 3 weeks was a bit too much and most likely why I got sick.
  • I need to figure out how I compromise my form in the wind and end up with side cramps, because that seems to be when they happen.
  • I love the race environment no matter what!  I greatly enjoyed the morning even though I wasn't hyped up about it!
Double the racing, double the envelopes
I'm glad I did the events, I'm thankful I won some cash, and I'm glad I did them the way I did.  I got yet another side ache on my cool-down that made me stop and walk (what?!).  I blame this on being a bit sick and also the wind, as the only times I've gotten side cramps have been running in windy conditions or when I'm "off" from being sick or depleted.  After the race I got more sick, with a full-blown sore throat, congestion, etc., but with the help of rest and nasal wash I seem to be in the mend.

On one hand, I was happy that 6:16 average pace felt brisk but relaxed for a 10K even in the conditions I had, but then I started thinking -- that's actually my goal marathon pace for December (6:17 is 2:44:5X).  Yikes!!!  I have work to do!

I ran a recovery run with my friend Kim who lives in Wichita on Sunday, and she said that the timing company who did the race has been making all of the races that they do long -- which makes no sense to me, but she said she's run a handful done by them that were long.  Noted!  And back to Certified in '17 and better double-checking on that status!

We went on to have a very blessed Easter with family!  A belated happy Easter to those reading this!

"But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His Wounds we are healed." -- Isaiah 53:5

Adorable face painting at the race
The impossible task of getting a good family photo

The annual Major Easter egg hunt


5 comments:

  1. You'd think by now they would have figured out the distance. OTOH, as you said, it's a family fun event. I think they should have made the course short instead of long, though. That would be more fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would complain either way (short or long), but if I HAD to choose I would agree that short would be more fun! :-)

      Delete
  2. Jon's "you can go as slow as you want this last mile," comment was my favorite! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight, I thought it would have been funny if I'd stopped and walked at that point; then he might have said, "Well, not that slow!"

      Delete
    2. That would have been hilarious!!!

      Delete