Tuesday, February 27, 2018

January-February Cravings Post

Since I published December's "What I'm Craving This Month" post so late, I decided to skip January, but the second half of January can be summed up by:
It was bad; I ate 7 months worth of desserts in 2 weeks!
Overall, I've been craving carbs and sugar like a madwoman this winter.  I think this is a combination of an adaptive response and a major mood slump.  I am currently 7 lbs heavier than I was when I ran CIM, and I am no longer freezing cold all the time like I was before I gained this weight.  I kept saying I was going to gain 5 lbs after my marathons because I was tired of being so cold, and then I over-achieved, haha!  Once I started gaining weight it was like my body sure wanted to pack it on.  The +5 lb goal was because I think I race best when I'm in a certain 5 lb range, and I was racing at the bottom of that range last season, so a 5 lb gain would put me at the top of the range, while presumably making me not freezing constantly.  For those following the math here, that means I am now a couple of pounds over my preferred range, but I imagine I'll be back within it before any important races.  Weight is a tricky discussion with running, because it's so important to be healthy and well-fueled, but at the same time it's basic science that you won't race as fast if you are carrying extra weight for your body (which is not the same build as anyone else's body).

I was really excited to try this whole grain naan and beet hummus when I saw them at the store, and they did not disappoint.  I like beets, but if you don't like them this hummus is not for you (if you are trying to like them, start putting just a few slices in your smoothies and you won't even notice).  I used to make my own hummus and bean dips often, and need to get back to that.

It would have been better to get a photo of the actual wrap, but I woofed it down and it was amazing.  I don't think I've ever had anything Amy's brand that I didn't like, but I wish it was cheaper.

Chicken curry from our favorite nearby Chinese restaurant.  Their portions are so big I got two meals out of this, which is rare and really saying something.

Fish tacos on a work trip.  I need to make these at home so I can make them healthier with whole wheat tortillas and brown rice, but for a restaurant meal this wasn't the worst.

Salmon is always winning (see also butternut squash and fresh green beans).

Date rolls with almonds and coconut are really great when I crave sweets, which is all of the time currently.

Baked potatoes are always a staple in my diet, and I like to experiment with different toppings.  This one has black olives, parsley, and nutritional yeast (immunity boost!).  I once read that a white potato has more potassium than a banana so they are really good for runners.

This isn't a craving, but I wanted to include it because I think these have been instrumental in keeping me healthy through the winter cold and flu season.

These are fantastic tea flavors.  I add a splash of almond milk.  These are both caffeinated, but at work they stocked a de-caf cinnamon variety that got me through my caffeine tapers before CIM and Houston.

Until March!

1 comment:

  1. I saw those dates at the store and they looked good, I will have to go back and get some since you said they are tasty! I travel for work too sometimes and I am always excited the first few days lol, I also enjoy exploring the area on my runs.

    Do you think the caffeine taper helped you a lot in your races?

    ReplyDelete