Wednesday, May 30, 2018

What I'm craving lately (April-ish through May-ish)

As usual, I feel like I missed a lot of food photo-ops, so I combined two months.  Eating the food generally takes priority over taking pictures of it...

This picture illustrates Albani's cravings.  Jon caves into buying her ice cream all the time, and I am thankful that she prefers chocolate because I (gasp) don't like chocolate ice cream.  Look at her cute little belly here!

I'm a big fan of nuts in general, and these pecans are straight from my father-in-law's farm.  He sends us home with a big bag of them each time we visit, and I generally get 90% of them!  They are great plain, but also good in oatmeal, on yogurt, or with fruit.

Green onions make an amazing topping over nearly any savory dish (tilapia pictured here, and you can see the asparagus and sweet potato I had with it).

This was an amazing stir-fry dish I had the evening of the Rock the Parkway Half Marathon; I am sure it was great sodium replacement too.

Some omelets look prettier than others, but they remain one of my favorite post-run meals.

IHOP's presentation is better than mine.

Jon is growing me spinach!  I put it in/on nearly everything, so this is a good plan.

A simple way to eat spinach - it's just steamed in the microwaved and seasoned with garlic salt and nutritional yeast (an immunity booster).  It's good sautéed in coconut oil, but that's a little higher maintenance.  You can also see the tilapia and sweet potato on my plate; I continue to eat a lot of these.

More garden goodness - kale!  I make kale chips (shown before cooking here) or use it in omelets and really any veggie dish.  It's also good sautéed with sweet potatoes.

Jon also grew cauliflower, which I love roasted.  This is pre-roasting with curry powder.  Albani was not a fan of the curry powder!

Healthy and hearty meal shot:  herb baked chicken, baked sweet potato with cinnamon, roasted yellow squash and mushrooms, steamed home-grown broccoli, and black olives.

Cantaloupe is back in season and on Aldi produce special.

Strawberries also came back on produce special.  I bought 6 cartons one week and Albani and I had them all down within 4 days.  We are also growing strawberries, but few make it into the house to get photographed because we eat them while picking!

This smoothie was made with frozen sweet cherries, beets, almond milk, and chocolate protein powder and was divine!

This was my recovery smoothie immediately after a 21 miler + strength workout, and included frozen pineapple, spinach, almond milk, and birthday cake protein powder.

I have no qualms about drinking my recovery smoothies in the bathroom while showering and getting ready...the refueling window is important!  This was after my 18 miler on May 5 and included beets, frozen banana, and protein powder. 

Frozen mango makes fantastic smoothies, and pairs well with any flavor of protein powder (this one had peanut butter flavor).

A insanely busy month at work meant that I ate some to-go meals in April, and I really don't like to admit I ate dinner from Casey's, but Casey's does make a mean chicken salad sandwich!  This didn't happen in May, so yay for that - and I started making tuna salad with Greek yogurt, which I'm still perfecting but like quite a bit.

This is advertised as healthy, but in the end it's still a cookie (although it was really tasty!).  It's also supposed to be two servings, but would anyone actually not eat this whole thing (I would have eaten two)?!  I guess that means you get 32 grams of protein, though!

If you are going to eat a cookie, this is a real cookie...to cap off my healthy foods post, when I eat unhealthy, it typically involves frosting and lots of it!

1 comment: