Thursday, June 28, 2018

Grandma’s Marathon: The finish line is just the beginning of a whole new race

Onto the next!

Although I did not run a PR or a 2:45, I really felt like I ran the best marathon I could have on that course that day.  I had 8 weeks of terrible-ness at the beginning of this training cycle, before gradually coming back to good.  By the time I really hit my stride around the time of the Bill Snyder Half, I was only 4 weeks out from Grandma's and didn't have enough time to make the gains I needed to improve as much as I needed to in order to hit those times.  But after all, if I accomplish all of my goals today, whatever would I do tomorrow?

Some of my satisfaction about this marathon was because I chose thankfulness, but it was also related to my expectations for the race.  I really didn't expect to get the standard, and I was stuck on 2:48 as an ideal day time.  I told Jon about 50 times that I thought I'd run 2:48.  I think I was right on with that expectation, because I probably lost 30 seconds during my 2 miles of cramping, so on an ideal day I would have run a 2:48.  I'm pretty good at predicting what I can do - I was also stuck on 2:46-2:48 prior to running 2:47 at CIM!  I guess this means that if I ever actually think I can run the 2:45, I will probably be right...but that doesn't mean I won't try again even when I feel like I'm not quite there.  One thing is for sure, I'll never get it if I don't try.

This training cycle and race taught me not to take improvement, gains, or my health for granted.  I was blessed with a really nice progression without any injuries from the first time I broke 3 hours in October 2016 until CIM.  With my injury history, it's truly a miracle that I haven't had any issues since February 2016.  I didn't have any injuries this cycle, but I had a health issue (and all kinds of wonky blood work values) that really affected my training and daily quality of life for about 8 weeks.  After I started feeling better, I really realized how terrible I'd felt.  I'm proud of myself for persisting through that, although everyone I train with or interact with on a frequent basis heard me say multiple times that I might not even run Grandma's (sorry for all of that whining).  I had several weeks where I couldn't hit 6:27 pace (my average pace at Grandma's) for even 1-3 minute durations during fartleks!

Although I admit I'm impatient about improvements, which is exacerbated by the fact that I can't run quality marathons back to back to back (Houston was a harsh reminder that although I've done two close together successfully, trying that is not guaranteed to work out) -- when I take a step back I am extremely thankful that in the span of 20 months, I have run 6 sub-3:00 marathons and 3 in the 2:40s.  I'll keep plugging away, and trust that God's plans are better than my dreams...but also always aim to remember how many of my running dreams have already come true!  After all, I used to think 2:59:59 was my max.

This article about Kellyn Taylor's break-through performance at Grandma's really spoke to me.  She noted that it wasn't just the training block before Grandma's that set her up for a 4 minute PR; it was the 3 years of training leading up to it.  This illustrates the importance of continuing to show up and having faith that eventually it will all come together!

I've noted before that I will keep trying for that 2:45 until I get it or until the qualifying window closes in January 2020, and I still feel that way.  However, I have learned that I will never make running a 2:45 my singular marathon goal.  I plan to go back to CIM in December 2018 to chase the joy of the marathon!

2 comments:

  1. It’s like that article was written for you to read. So perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've since listened to a couple of podcasts with her, and it was really encouraging to hear how she worked and worked while running about the same marathon times, and then suddenly she dropped a huge PR (a 4 minute PR at her speed is MAJOR!). All of that work was there waiting to come out!

      Delete