Wednesday, January 2, 2019

2018 Running Highlights

I recently read my Top 5 Running Highlights of 2017 when searching for my yearly mileage history list.  I was correct when I noted in that post that 2017 would be hard to top!  My 2018 running wasn't quite what I wanted, but I have a lot to be thankful for.

My Instagram Top 9 wasn't far off!
My Highlights Were:

With 3,047 miles, I ran my highest yearly mileage ever, surpassing my 2017 mileage by 4 miles (the 2017 mileage was a huge yearly mileage PR).  I had 8 weeks of mileage in the 80s, which before this year I had only done for 1 week, in 2017.  All other "normal" training weeks were in the 60s-70s; the weeks that were not that high were when I was tapering, recovering, injured, or returning from injury - the majority of those when I was healthy were in the 50s, but several were big fat zeros when I was injured.  I am pretty pumped that I managed a yearly mileage PR with 8 weeks of downtime, and I know I can improve it next year if I don't get injured.  I counted my AlterG treadmill miles in this total, which feels a little like cheating, but I did run the distance so I'm keeping them (my outside miles are around 160 less).

I ran a huge 10K PR.  Everything really came together for the Plaza 10K even though I did not rest for it or do any 10K-specific training.  Although I was extremely disappointed that my fall season was cut short, I am so thankful that I got this race in before I got injured.  I was thrilled to better my track best on a rolling road course, but more importantly it really showed me how well my body responded to consistent higher mileage training (higher mileage is all relative, I know 70-80 is nothing for some but it is the most I've ever done).  I'd been targeting running a 36:59 10K for over a year, but I really never thought I'd be able to run a 36:34 on the road.

I ran two solid marathons.  Although I did not accomplish my time goal in Houston, it was a great experience and I'm glad I went for it.  I am proud to say that my complete bonk/bad day marathon there was a 2:54.  Grandma's wasn't what I dreamed of when I selected the race, but based on how terrible I felt for most of the build up, I am proud that I pulled off a 2:49:08 and my second fastest marathon.  I sure hope I have more in me as far as marathon PRs go, but regardless I sure enjoy the training process and the races!

I set two Missouri single age state records, in the half marathon at Rock the Parkway and the 12K at the Big 12 12K.  Neither are great times, but they are currently the best a 37-year-old female in Missouri has managed.  I bombed nearly every run in the months leading up to those races, so even though I don't think I ran good times, I do think I ran really well compared to how I was performing in training.

I persisted.  In February, March, and April I had an illness and a slump (which was extra hard since I was coming off of several break-through performances in fall 2017), but I kept running every single day.  I raced beyond what my training said I should have in everything I raced for the first 6 months of the year.  I was injured in September, but I did everything I could to strengthen my weaknesses and to return to training.  I kept showing up!

I learned.  I learned how much consistent mileage helps my race times.  I learned to be more cautious about running when sick, and about running and racing on potential injuries.  I re-learned just how much I love the sport and how empty I feel without it.  I learned that my running friends mean the world to me.

I re-prioritized.  My biggest goal is to run for the rest of my life.  This is more important than any PR.  That doesn't mean my Big Goal has changed, just that it's decidedly second on the list, at best.

I was more thankful.  I still have a ways to go in this arena, but I did better.  I've always been pretty bad about wanting more and more, in running and in other aspects of my life.  Looking back, I haven't appreciated many milestones and PRs because I was already onto my next goal.  The first time I broke 3:00 in the marathon, I left the finish chute ecstatic but also thinking, "I can run faster."  I distinctly remember waiting for my flight at the Phoenix airport following my break-through 2:49 marathon emailing my coach saying I wanted to train for a 2:45, instead of relishing in the moment.  I wasn't nearly as happy about my 2:47 at CIM as I should have been, because it wasn't "enough" compared to a very specific cut-off time.  We rarely appreciate the moment enough when we are in it.  I regret that I didn't savor those moments, but this year I found more joy in my performance at Grandma's Marathon than in any of those marathons, even though it wasn't a PR.  I really let myself ride a high after my PR at the Plaza 10K.  I do want more, but if I never get more I will still find great joy in the process.  I am more thankful than ever now.

I helped others.  Whenever someone tells me that I helped them, I am reminded why I was given my passion for running.  I typically don't realize I'm doing it, but whether it's by answering running questions, giving training advice, encouraging others, inviting someone to join our group runs, listening to my friends when we run together, helping my local running club, or making individualized training schedules for friends free of charge, I have opportunities to give back often.  That has to be why God made me a runner.  I know I'll remember all of the people that running has brought into my life more than I'll remember any PR; however...

Bring on 2019 training blocks and goal races!  I have a long way to go to get back to my best fitness, but I'm ready to try!

2 comments:

  1. My top goal is running for the rest of my life as well! You have definitely helped me in so many ways with my running. Most importantly by being a great example. Seeing you invite people to run and having a group of running buddies helped me feel comfortable to reach out and making running buddies of my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear all of that. We definitely share the best running goal. :-) I have a lot of good memories of runs with you - like when we ran from Arma to Pittsburg with the wind behind us, eating at Mall Deli after long runs, and of course those summer morning track workouts!

      Delete