Friday, May 21, 2021

The Road to Tobacco Road

The anticipatory build up for the Tobacco Road Marathon was short, since I only decided definitively to run the race 2 weeks before it.  However, that meant all of the excitement was condensed into those 2 weeks, and I was beyond excited for this race!  I didn't get as pumped for my 50k as I normally would have during my final taper week due to my little TFL issue, so I rode the pre-race thrill of Tobacco Road even more than usual because I was extra appreciative of it.  I was so amped up I wasn't sure how I could ever wait until race day, but after much anticipation, Christian and I flew to North Carolina on May 13 (details of our wonderful vacation are here).

In April and May I'd run some workouts faster than I'd run before my PR marathon (Indy) and my mileage had been consistently high, so I thought I was in top shape but I didn't have a specific goal time for this race, because I wasn't sure how much the gravel would slow me down and I knew the elevation profile wasn't ideal.  I believed I'd get the best out of myself by running by feel and competing, so that was my plan.  I wanted to podium, but that type of goal always depends on who else shows up.  I felt confident about my fitness and was extremely excited to give the marathon another go!  I never thought about the possibility of this marathon not going well, but usually when I take a race trip I figure worst case scenario I'll bomb the race then have a fantastic vacation, which is still a win.

Flat Sara

I'd expected that race morning would be warm based on the average temps for the race area.  This event usually takes place in March, when there is marathon-ideal weather in the Raleigh area, but it was pushed back this year due to COVID restrictions.  I was expecting 60s at the start and 70s by the finish on May 15.  As race day neared, the forecast kept looking better and better, and when I woke up on race morning it was 46 degrees with 1 mph wind, and I was elated!  It was going to be sunny and warm up quickly, but with our early start our first bit on the road was nearly in the dark, then about 21 miles of the race were shaded by the huge trees that line the American Tobacco Trail, so only the final 2.5 miles on the road would be in the sun.

Christian drove me to the race site and ran my 10 minute warm up with me.  The whole time I just felt happy and at peace.  My heart was already so full.  I did drills and strides, and as I began changing my shoes I heard the race organizers calling the elites to the line.  The elite marathoners were scheduled to start together at 5:58 a.m., before the first wave of time trial racers were sent off at 6:00 a.m.  I really appreciated the race starting the elites together so we would know who we were racing and where we stood, because I suspected that my competitors were going to highly influence how I raced.  The race organizers had a lot of COVID regulations to deal with (North Carolina is much more strict than Missouri right now), and I give them major props for putting on this event under the circumstances.  Because only runners, race staff, and volunteers were allowed in the start/finish area, there was very little fanfare at the start, but that probably helped my relaxed vibe.  At 4:58 a.m. central time, I started the race with a smile on my face!

From left to right at the start: guy who
really took face coverings seriously, 1st
female, 2nd female, 3rd female

The story continues here...

1 comment: