Saturday, May 22, 2021

Tobacco Road Marathon: The Race-cation

This North Carolina marathon location was excellent for a full vacation along with the race!  Christian and I left Missouri on Thursday, May 13 and returned on Tuesday, May 18, and we crammed about a month's worth of adventures into that time!

I'm including a few of our best photos, but our entire trip photo documentary is here.  She and I made very good travel buddies and I'm thankful God connected us through running.

May 13:

  • Left Springfield at 2:30 p.m. CST.
  • Arrived in Raleigh after a short layover in Charlotte at 8:30 p.m. (7:30 p.m. CST), and picked up our rental car.
  • Checked into our hotel, an Extended Stay America in the Research Triangle Park area that was cheap, clean, and safe.
  • Ended up with a little tour the Research Triangle Park area and Downtown Durham due to Apple maps initially taking us to a very incorrect location of the restaurant we ordered take-out from, The Goat.
  • Ate while watching House Hunters and crashed!
May 14:
  • Woke up and took our time getting out for a shake out run around the Research Triangle Park area, then ate breakfast in our hotel (and Christian got coffee at The Goat).
  • Explored downtown Cary, which was very cozy, clean, and artsy.
  • Picked up our race packets at In and Out Sports.
  • Had lunch at an Asian-inspired restaurant right by packet pick up.
  • Explored the American Tobacco Campus area.
  • Bought groceries at Food Lion and made dinner in our hotel room before an early bedtime.
Downtown Cary

Burt's Bees on the American Tobacco Campus

May 15:
  • Marathon morning!
  • I woke up at 3:30 a.m. to eat breakfast, and we left for the race a few minutes before 5:00 a.m.
  • Race parking and everything else went smoothly, and you can read all the race details and more here.
  • We had brunch at La Farm right after the race.
  • After showering and a little rest at our hotel, we headed to Downtown Durham.
  • We explored Downtown Durham on rental scooters and on foot.
  • We did a historic comedy bus tour of Durham, which was hilarious even though we were the only people on the bus who were sober.
  • We had take-out Ramen for dinner (Christian's pre-race favorite) and another early bedtime.
  • I slept about 3 hours due to post-race insomnia, but anything more than 0 after a marathon is somewhat winning for me!
Downtown Durham has a Central Park

May 16:
  • Half Marathon morning!
  • Another early wake up, for Christian to eat and I'd been awake for awhile (I slept from about 11 p.m. to 2 a.m.).
  • Everything went smoothly with getting to and warming up for her race as well, and I thoroughly enjoyed cheering for her and other friends!
  • We had brunch at Fount with 3 additional friends who ran the half.
  • We explored downtown Raleigh on foot, which is also very artsy.
  • We did an escape room at Tower Escapes, which was a historic tower building made into escape rooms.  We didn't think this one through very well because we were both exhausted and failed hard at solving the puzzle!
  • We had late lunch/early dinner at Morgan Street food hall.
  • We tried to get into a "secret" bar, but the green light wasn't on and we must not have been cool enough when we asked about it.
  • We had ice cream from Two Roosters Creamery.
Girls' brunch

Note to self: don't do an escape room the day after
a marathon again

Famous Two Roosters
May 17:
  • Christian slept for 13 hours!  I was up at 5 a.m., and ended up writing my race recap, going for a short shake-out run, showering including shaving my legs, eating breakfast, and taking an hour nap before she woke up, hah!
  • We drove to Wrightsville beach, about 2 hours away.
  • We explored the beach, the pier, and the surrounding area.  We both got a little sunburned.  We had lunch at Adapt.
  • We toured the Raleigh Rose Garden while it was sprinkling.
  • We had cocktails/wine downtown Raleigh, then planned our 2021 fall races while buzzed.  I was so affected by 1 glass of wine I signed up for a 5k, bahaha!
Beach trip!

I wasn't brave enough to walk around in my swimming suit

Raleigh Rose Garden

May 18:
  • We started the day with a hike at William B. Umstead State Park.
  • We ate breakfast in our hotel, packed up, and checked out.
  • We went to the science museum and history museum in downtown Raleigh.
  • We ate lunch at Transfer Food Hall.
  • We headed to the airport, dropped off our rental car, and headed back to Missouri.  We had a 30 minute layover in Chicago, so had to pretty much run across the airport to make our connection, but we did and landed in Springfield around 9 p.m.
Hiking at William B. Umstead State Park

Raleigh Science Museum

The only thing better than traveling to a race is traveling to a race + vacation!  I can't wait to do it again!

4 comments:

  1. You have me sold on the traveling for a race and making a vacation out of it. This sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've greatly enjoyed every time I've done it! Grandma's Marathon is a perfect one to make into a family vacation because kids are out of school, and the Phoenix area (Phoenix Rock'n'Roll and Mesa-Phoenix Marathon), San Francisco (after CIM), and Portland (Portland Marathon) were great race trips too. My running group was eyeing Tucson in December this year, which sounds like another amazing one, but I'm waiting until they announce the 2024 OTQ standard to definitively choose my fall marathons.

      Delete
    2. I'm excited to see which one(s) you end up choosing!

      Delete
    3. I am planning to run Milwaukee Lakefront on October 3, and then either Indy or Bass Pro on November 6/7. I doubt USATF will announce the 2024 OTQ information until after the Olympics, so I realized I couldn't wait to nail down a plan. This one works regardless! I have a feeling they won't open the qualifying window until 2022 this round but I hope I'm wrong because I'm not getting any younger here, bahaha!

      Delete