Sunday, March 6, 2022

Anatomy of a 116 mile week

My goal for this season was to top out at a weekly mileage of 108-110, cautiously bettering my previous highest of 106. I hit 109.5 the Monday through Sunday week of February 21-27, and 110.3 the week of February 28-March 6. Due to moving a double I ended up with 116.1 miles on my rolling 7 between February 25 and March 3 - normally my rolling 7 doesn't fluctuate much, but this was kind of dumb luck. Who knows if I'll ever surpass this, so here's what I did!

Feb. 25: 

  • 8.08 miles easy a.m.
  • 4.02 miles easy p.m. - Usually I don't double on Fridays, but I changed this one from Thursday to Friday due to much better weather on Friday afternoon. Since I had 5 doubles in 7 days instead of my typical 4, I got a higher mileage PR than expected.

Feb. 26:

  • 26.05 miles on a hilly route (1365 ft gain) via 10 miles easy then 16 with 0:45 pick-ups to about threshold pace at the beginning of each mile. Doing a 26 mile long run definitely helps you hit higher weekly mileage!
  • Core workout
There was birthday cake after the 26 miler!
Feb. 27:

  • 16.02 miles easy. Back-to-back long runs also boost mileage quite a bit, and I love 50k training because of them.
  • Short strength workout

Feb. 28:

  • 9.08 miles easy a.m.
  • 5.04 miles easy p.m.
  •  Core workout

March 1:

  • 10.09 miles easy with 4 x 150 m on the track in the middle a.m.
  • 4.10 miles easy p.m.

March 2:

  • 14.2 mile workout via 3 miles warm up, 8 mile wave tempo (alternating 1 mile @ 6:00-6:10 with 1 mile @ 6:40-6:50) on rolling hills, 3.2 mile cool down a.m.
  • 4.31 miles easy p.m.
  • Short strength workout

March 3:

  • 10.02 miles easy a.m.
  • 5.01 miles easy p.m.
  • Core workout
This group is the main reason I ran this mileage

I wrote about my first ever 100 mile week here, and my second here. This training cycle I had five Monday through Sunday weeks of triple digit mileage, and it's definitely become normalized to me at this point...some might say this means I'm getting crazier, hahaha! But does anyone who isn't crazy run a 50k?

2 comments:

  1. I had my post-college weekly mileage PR the week I did my 26/16 weekend training for my 50k too, but mile was 70-something. Super impressive and even more impressive you've stayed healthy running consistently high mileage weeks. I'm so glad you've figured out how to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty hard not to run high mileage when your weekend is 26 and 16! I'm impressed you did that before your first 50k (I did 25 and 15 last time). I'm thankful I figured out the puzzle too! It's intensity that gets me, not mileage - and I can handle a lot of mileage with gradual increases. I don't know that I'll ever go higher than this, but we shall see!

      Delete