Sunday, April 24, 2022

Boston: Touristy Things, Other Escapades, & Travel

After the Monday race, Amy and I had two more days to be tourists! I worked at the rabbit pop up on Tuesday morning, which was really good timing because it was raining. Amy dragged Colin to two Lululemon stores, and they came by rabbit while I was there. rabbit had some insane deals on their last day being open and I bought 14 shirts to give to my running group.

rabbit pop up on Newbury

Colin headed to the airport after we all ate lunch at Which Wich (which I love but we no longer have in Springfield), and Amy and I headed to the Freedom Trail. It passes nearly all of the major historic sites in Boston, so we got to see it and shake out our legs with over 7 miles of walking. The downside was that it was cold and sporadically rainy. We had to tuck in under awnings and into coffee shops a few times, and by the time we finished seeing the U.S. Constitution we were pretty much frozen and done. We had dinner at Joe's on the Waterfront, missed going to Mike's Pasteries, and took the subway back to our hotel (my first subway experience, not recommended).

Freedom Trail

Boston Common

Paul Revere

We walked through 3 historic cemetaries

The North End, as seen on TV

Old North Church

U.S. Constitution

Scary subway

Back in our room, I cut off the top part of the sign to take home with scissors from the front desk of the hotel. On Wednesday we enjoyed touring Newbury Street, including the Tracksmith Track House. We looked into doing a trolley tour but we'd already seen nearly every site on it during our other touring trips. I also looked at going to the Boston Tea Party Museum but it was closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. We went to Marathon Sports and Eataly before heading to our 4:50 p.m. flight. Travel home went much smoother than travel to Boston, and we actually got to eat dinner in the Chicago airport instead of running through it. We were both exhausted on the final day of trip, but I didn't want to it end!

Beautiful church on Newbury

Marathon Sports

Signs like this were everywhere

Things I left Boston with that I didn't bring:
the large sign, 14 rabbit shirts, 16 Maurten gels, a
pair of Vaporflys, marathon shirt/medal/bag/elite pass

My biggest athletic feat of the trip
was closing this suitcase

Although the race itself was very much not what I wanted, the trip as a whole was amazing. I'm thankful that I felt well enough to enjoy every other aspect (if I'd have felt like I did on the Tuesday and Wednesday before we left, I'd have had to lay in my hotel room the entire trip). I felt free of responsibilities and laughed more than I have in a long time. We made countless inside jokes, and I have memories that will last a lifetime. Hopefully the disappointment of the race will fade and I will pointedly remember the rest of the racecation fondly. I am already dreaming of my next!

Nugget enjoying Boston smells

The story concludes here.

3 comments:

  1. I was so pumped to walk the Freedom Trail when I was planning my Boston trip. I'll have to get tips before I go (hopefully in the next few years).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of Boston tips for you! I could have written a lot more about my vacation but I got a little tired by this point.

      Delete
    2. I bet, there was a lot to document!

      Delete