Saturday, July 22, 2023

Summer Sizzler 15k

The Short:

I ran a low-key race on a Colorado trip, and it wasn't fast but I won first overall person! It was the perfect way to get in an effort while traveling and it's always fun to win a race. I am sticking with no goal races at altitude though!

Results are here

My Strava activity is here

The Long:

When I made arrangements to fly to Denver on July 15, I decided to see if there were any races there on Sunday, July 16 - and there was one, the Summer Sizzler! I have done a lot of racecations, where I build a vacation around a race, but this was my first time doing it the other way - planning a trip then inserting a race. I decided I'd run it if possible, but I didn't want to inconvenience anyone and a memorial and family time were top priority, so I didn't register until the morning of the race, after my parents assured me it worked in our schedule. I also did a long run workout on July 14, something which I don't think I've ever done two days before racing, but which made sense with not knowing for sure if I'd race and not wanting to leave my long run to July 16 in an unbeknownst location. I also woke up at 2 a.m. on July 15 and had a power-packed day, so I wasn't exactly rested for this one!

For those reasons, because I wanted to have plenty of energy to vacation post-race, and because I wasn't sure how the altitude would affect me (I've run at altitude on vacation plenty of times, but just easy efforts), I thought running the race at about marathon effort would be good. Because I expected a fairly small event, I was hoping I could win overall female with that effort - but I was also prepared to run faster if that's what it took to compete. I did a couple of miles and strides to warm up, then lined up on the starting line on a concrete running/bike path.

There were 5k, 10k, and 15k distances at the race, but the bib numbers for each race looked the same and the course was the same (5k did one tour of the out-and-back course, 10k two, and 15k three), so I wasn't sure who I was actually racing against. The starting announcer asked for shows of hands ("Who is in the 10k? Who is in the 15k?") and I tried to look around at the women towards the front of the line to see who was in my race. I noted that the men in front of me on the line were all in shorter races.

After the start, I eased out and settled into the moderately hard effort that is marathon effort. I generally race by effort (not pace), but for this one it was extra important with the variables at play (altitude mainly, but also fatigue). A woman was right with me, and I settled in just behind her, feeling like the effort was a smidge too quick for marathon pace but definitely do-able - and like I said I was willing to go faster in order to compete!

I ran right with the woman for the first 2 miles (which ended up being my fastest 2 miles), and then I could feel her slowing down. When I passed her I told her great job and asked which race she was in. She was breathing awfully hard, so I when she answered "5k" it made sense. I was disappointed I wasn't going to have her to run with for any longer - I'd been thinking the ideal situation would be that she was in the 10k so I could run with her for 2 laps but wouldn't have to push too much on my third. I moved into the female lead position for all 3 races, and made my way to the turn-around/finish.

Close to the turn-around/finish

My parents were cheering at the turn-around, and it was fun to come through before any of the 5k women. I saw a couple of men heading back out on the course ahead of me, so I knew they were in either the 10k or 15k. I ran by myself from mile 2 on, but with the 3 race distances going out and back, there were always people around. I pushed like a workout but was thankful I didn't have to push too hard! At the halfway point turn around, I noted the men in front of me and the closest women behind me. I had a pretty significant lead so I felt good about winning overall female in the 15k (though they were actually in the 10k, I'd later learn).

Next I came through the 10k turn around, which I came through before any of the women in the 10k. I didn't think I saw any men going back out from there, but there were so many people going both ways at that point and I was lapping people, so I wasn't sure. On the last lap I started thinking it would be awfully cool if I was ahead of all of the men! At the last turn around (with 1.55ish miles to go), I was pretty sure I was leading the 15k overall. I glided in and when I finished the announcer confirmed my suspicion, saying that I was not only the first 15k female finisher, but I was the first overall finisher in the 15k!

The blue pin on the ribbon says #1 overall,
the gold pin says age group winner

It's always fun to win a race, no matter how small and non-competitive, so I really enjoyed this. I ran pretty steady and my average HR was 159 (marathon effort is about 160, so I did well with that). It was a good effort and a nice way to get in a 13+ mile day on vacation! 

I really don't know how much the altitude affected me, but hopefully at least 20 seconds/mile, because my average pace was 7:08 and I'd sure like to break 3:00 in Chicago! It was in the 70s and sunny, so also pretty warm, plus the dry air had me grabbing water at the hair pin turn at every aid station (surely it's easier than Missouri humidity though!). I had a phase where I'd only race if I thought I could post a good time, but now I really enjoy doing races like this where I know I won't. This and the workout I did a few days later while in the Denver area did solidify my stance that I never want to run a goal race at altitude though!


2 comments:

  1. That is so cool that they had pins for the medal as the awards! I've never seen that before, what an awesome idea! I bet the altitude does add at least 20 seconds/mile. I know my half-marathon in RMNP was significantly slower than what I was capable of in a half-marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that half you did when I was planning this race! It is also hard to know (for both of us) how much was altitude and how much travel fatigue, but this race and my workout a couple of days later were both significantly slower than I'd do at home, even in the heat/humidity.

      Delete