Sunday, May 15, 2016

Another Week in May, Another Race: Week in Review

Weekly mileage: 49.1 (proving that I am less obsessive than I used to be, by not running 0.9 more...not that I was not tempted!)

Next week I will be back to a truly normal schedule, but this week was closer!

Monday – Cross-training Monday with 45 minutes HIIT bootcamp and 45 minutes elliptical.  My abs and glutes could tell I’ve missed some bootcamps recently!  I was also feeling my weekend runs (Saturday mountainous 5K plus Sunday long run) during this workout.

Tuesday – Speed work – eeeeeee!  Full description of this workout here.  It was 9 miles total with 2 x 1 mile and 2 x 0.5 mile repeats.  At the time of the workout I thought it was just eh, but looking back at my training log from 2015 I learned that my first mile repeat was a 3 second course PR on the rolling mile I used, and the second repeat tied my old course PR.  So then I felt pretty darn good about it!  I just had to remember that I won’t run nearly as fast on that course as I can on a track or the YMCA loop.

Wednesday – 10.5 miles total:  7 morning base pace miles (7:42 average) and 3.5 evening miles with Jon (8:00 average).  This was a “summer is here!” kind of day, as it was 67 degrees and sticky humid for the morning run (and I didn’t need a headlamp at 5:30 a.m.!!!) and 85 degrees and windy for the afternoon run!  On both runs my legs had a hard time getting moving on the first mile, but then I felt better once I got going.  I hemmed and hawed about even doing the second run because I was tired and probably hadn’t eaten enough throughout the day due to a super busy day at work, but I was glad I got it in because Jon and I don’t have too many chances to run together due to our pace differences and childcare.  Albani was at a kids running workout while we did this run!

Thursday – 30 minutes easy on the elliptical – my day off pre-race while maintaining my workout streak (over 28 months and going strong!).

Friday – 5 miles morning base pace with 6 x 20-30 second strides (7:16 average for the whole thing). As is typical following a day off, I felt sluggish during mile 1 and then felt peppy. I was excited because I needed sunglasses on this run that started at 6 a.m.! I can't tell you how much I love running early without a headlamp - but you'll get the idea when I mention it constantly for the next couple of months, haha!

Saturday – Scout Strong Half Marathon race.  My goal for this race was to be in the top 2 women, a.k.a. finish in the money, and if I could do that running less than maximum that was the best scenario, being on my third race weekend in as many weeks (past winning times weren’t super fast).  It went swimmingly and I won 1st overall female in 1:29:06!  Although that is not a fast time for me, the wind was insane, and I won which was my goal.  Even if I had gone all out, I am not in PR shape and it was absolutely not PR weather.  See race report here.  I finished with some left in the tank which was also nice, and ran a 3.6 mile cool down, which gave me 18.4 miles for the day with my warm up and race.  Ooops!!

Sunday – 6.1 miles shake-out (8:09 average). I felt far better in the final mile than in the beginning miles, so the purpose of this one was served! It was a beautiful morning to be thankful for another solid training week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment