Sunday, May 29, 2016

What I Eat: Travel Edition

I spent several days in Chicago for the Applied Behavior Analysis International conference this week. I decided I would take pictures of my meals along the way, even though my food photography skills leave something to be desired. My department members who were with me got tired of my comments, "I hope this is going to be enough food" and "That was not enough food."  I forget how much I eat until I'm around "normal" people. [Update:  I lost 2 pounds on this trip so it clearly was not enough food!]

Our first meal was Qdoba for lunch on the road on Saturday. I failed on taking a picture of it, so here is a stock photo of a vegetarian burrito bowl. I had brown rice, black beans, grilled peppers and onions, corn salsa, mango salsa, guacamole, red onions, and lettuce. It was good, healthy, and was almost enough food.


Dinner that night in Chicago was at an Armenian restaurant. This was a sampler with stuffed grape leaves, baba ganouch, a white bean and tomato dish, and pita bread. I also ate a friend's salad (basically just lettuce, radishes, and carrots with a light kind of fruity dressing), a chunk of grilled eggplant, and a little cheese. I love that everyone gives me what they don't like or can't finish!



Sunday lunch was from the Protein Bar. I forgot what this dish was called, but it was Mexican-inspired and vegan, and included quinoa, black beans, corn, tofu, tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, vegan cheese, and a sour cream type sauce. It was delicious but not enough food!



Sunday dinner was at an all-vegan restaurant, The Chicago Diner. Side note: I am traveling with a vegan! I started with a cauliflower curry soup, and had the Soul Bowl with blackened tofu, mashed sweet potatoes, black beans, greens, red quinoa, and a sauce called chimchirri or something like that. It was all great, and I also got to eat a bit of everyone else's dishes: seitan buffalo wings, poutine, black bean quinoa burger, chicken fried steak, steamed veggies, and lentil loaf (all vegan). I was stuffed and left food on the table! 





Monday lunch was at Noodles and Company. I forgot what the dish was called, but it was Thai-inspired and involved noodles (of course!), a slew of veggies, tofu, sesame seeds, and a cocunut milk sauce.  I liked it but my stomach hurt a bit after lunch (may have been completely unrelated to the food).



Monday's snacking and dinner would go under what I would call a cheat day. I didn't buy any popcorn when we went to Garrett's, but when my friend Megan said she was done with hers I gladly finished it. I also had several mini candy bars that I picked up from the expo booths (white chocolate Kit Kat, York peppermint patties, Reeces cups, Mr. Goodbar, Crunch, Twix, Milky Way). I try not to eat junk often, but when I do I go big!



Monday's dinner was from the little to-go cafe in our hotel. A veggie sandwich (the wrapper said eggplant, portobello mushroom, fresh monzarella, arugula, tomato, and basil pesto on clabatta bread), chips, and cookies. I ate it all in bed (sorry, Hyatt!). I was beat - which also relates to this being my least healthy eating day of the trip!



Tuesday's lunch was from a grocery store salad bar. It was nice to control what went into my meal. I had a huge salad with mixed dark greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, artichokes, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, sprouts, feta cheese, black olives, green olives, red cabbage, kale, carrots, beets, raspberries, sunflower seeds, a hard boiled egg, and cottage cheese as dressing. I probably forgot some ingredients too! I also had a caffeinated club soda, something I'd never seen before, because I needed some pick me up!



For Tuesday's dinner, we ate in our hotel's restaurant because it was raining. I had a fancy salad (greens, artichoke, edamame, roasted carrots and tomatoes, turnip, red cabbage, lemon olive oil dressing) and a black bean quinoa sandwich topped with half an avacado (score!!) with a side of green beans. I also ate my friend's side of green beans. 





Wednesday's lunch was the last travel meal. We stopped at Denny's on the road, and I had a veggie skillet, and sides of yogurt and fresh fruit. I would've been okay without the sides but remembered another time I ate at Denny's and left hungry so I ordered them and left pleasantly full and ready for a road trip nap. 


I didn't go out for breakfasts because I was doing early morning workouts and it's also tricky to time that correctly to get to an 8:00 a.m. conference session (not to mention I get so tired of eating out). I brought food along and also purchased some the nights before, so breakfasts were some combination of Greek yogurt, apples, oranges, peanuts, raisins, and sweet mini bell peppers (if I hadn't packed them they would have gone bad in my fridge at home while I was gone), always with coffee made in my hotel room. I also had snacks daily from this stash. 



I'll end with a few ABA department photos!











No comments:

Post a Comment