Thursday, September 22, 2016

Coaching for control freaks

Although I think that any runner at any level can benefit from having a coach, there are three types of runners who I think really benefit:  1) those who are new to the sport and don't know about different types of training, 2) those who need someone to keep them accountable to stick to their training schedule and to help motivate them, and 3) those who are super Type A and prone to over-training. 

Can you guess which category that I fall into?  Yes, 3) is the correct answer.

I've never had any trouble getting out the door and putting in the work.  I think that's just because I enjoy running so much, and I enjoy training just as much as racing.  I like to challenge myself and to push, but also to relax and just run.  I've run for so many years that it's simply a part of me.  I feel better physically and mentally when I'm running consistently.  I feel closer to God when I'm running.  Running improves everything else in my life because it somehow makes everything better for me - and it makes me better at my other roles in life (a better mom, wife, Christian, BCBA, teacher, etc...okay, maybe not a better cook!).

When I make my own training schedule, I often push too much too soon and don't prioritize build-ups and recovery.  I race too much.  I don't do periodization like I should.  I keep thinking I should add more and question if I'm doing enough.

Following my schedule from my coach simplifies things.  I just do what is scheduled for that day and doing that I know I've done the correct thing.  No questioning or second-guessing (well, for the most part; I'm still a recovering control freak, right?).  He is excellent at challenging me without letting me over-train.

I used to want to do more hard workouts to improve, but I've actually done better on fewer workouts.  Some runners excel with running a speed workout, a tempo run, and a long run every week (three hard days).  I do better with having just two hard days most weeks and more base running (my base runs and long runs are quite a bit faster than they used to be, though).  This keeps me running consistently instead of needing to take time off for injuries, and with consistency comes improvement.  I also like to race a lot, but I've seen that I race faster when I don't do quite as many events.

For many years, I didn't think I needed a coach.  I knew running and I knew how to train.  I did not lack motivation to train one bit!  A series of random events that I'm now thankful for led me to meet and start training with my current coach, and I've learned that having someone looking at the bigger picture and your long-term development is very helpful no matter how long you've been running.

And maybe, just maybe, giving up control can be a good thing. 

My first major break-through race working with my coach

No comments:

Post a Comment