Tuesday, September 13, 2016

My answer to pumpkin spice everything...

...is pumpkin curry!  I'm not into pumpkin spice lattes and the like, but all of the pumpkin talk I've been hearing reminded me of this curry recipe I love.  At one time I actually followed a recipe to make it, but now I make it from memory.  It's super easy to throw everything into the crock pot, and also super healthy.

The "recipe" I made:
  • 1 lb. dry white beans (this is 1 typical package or about 3 cups).  The original recipe I followed used tofu, but I like the white beans better as the protein, plus you don't have to do anything to them ahead of time as you ideally would with the tofu.  This would also be good with chickpeas I think.
  • 1-2 bags of frozen spinach
  • 1 bag of frozen carrots
  • 1 bag of frozen onions
  • 2 cans of tomatoes
  • 1 can of pumpkin
  • 1 can of coconut milk (full fat has far better flavor, and it's healthy fat!)
  • Big spoonful of minced garlic
  • Sprinkle in cumin, garlic salt, and a very generous portion of curry powder.  Seriously, don't hold back on the curry powder!
  • 3 can fulls of water (I just use the cans from the pumpkin, etc. so I get the extra in the crock pot too)
You could easily substitute fresh veggies for any of the veggies (or use different veggies if you'd like), but that makes cooking more effortful!  The prep time on this as listed is seriously about 3 minutes, which makes it right up my alley.

Cook all of this on low in the crock pot overnight (at least 8 hours); it can go longer if needed or you could probably cook it on high for 6 hours.  Just make sure the dry beans are completely cooked!

Serve over brown rice, cous cous, or quinoa, OR if you're lazy like me you can put the grain in at the end when the dish is cooked.  I added whole wheat cous cous, which cooks super fast, and you may need a bit more water if there isn't any left when you add the grain.  I like to top this with nutritional yeast for some extra flavor and an immune system boost!

I am no food photographer
 

No comments:

Post a Comment