Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Running-related gear/fuel/miscellany I'm loving right now

These have been my top picks of this training block!

One of my favorite pairings
BCG (Academy Sports) brand shorts

These fit me perfectly and are flattering, don't rub or chafe anywhere even on runs of 20-26.2 miles, and are only $14.99!   Each season they have new patterns and I always end up buying a few (I have 9 pairs total; one is already packed for my upcoming marathon and didn't make it into the picture).  These are pretty much the only shorts I run in now.  I wear XS in them, so they wouldn't fit well for a really tiny runner.

BCG Academy Sport shorts
Underarmour sports bras

These are amazing even when drenched (by sweat or in a thunderstorm) and are my favorite sports bras to run in currently.  These might not work well for a well-endowed runner because they aren't super thick, although they are compression gear.

Underarmour sports bras
 Balega Hidden Comfort socks

These socks are amazing!  I never get blisters running in them, including a 20 miler during which it poured and my shoes and socks were drenched.  I wish I could say these are the only socks I run in currently, but alas I am cheap and only own two pairs.  I always wear them for my long runs and races though (except when I wear compression socks).

Balega Hidden Comfort socks
Pro Compression Marathon Compression socks

I may have too many pairs of these - but I've purchased them all for $9.99 or less (brand new) on eBay!


Osmo Women's Hydration powder

Missy gave me some of this to try after I asked her recovery secrets (she's a machine!), and I was hooked.  The taste isn't anything to write home about, but it delivers electrolytes without dyes or much refined sugar.  I mostly drink it after runs during which I sweat a lot (e.g., every run of any significant distance during the summer!), and have also had it during long runs.  My only qualm about this is that it's not what's served during any races, and it's getting really hard to find to buy!

Osmo
Accel gels

I randomly tried these gels in 2010 after I won a gift card to a running specialty store and had a few bucks left to spend on it after buying some gear.  They have a little protein so I was curious if they'd settle in my system better and not make me sugar-high jittery like other gels had at some times.  And they did end up working better for me!  I primarily take them during marathons, but during this marathon build-up I've practiced with them on four long runs (I did not practice my fueling at all before Dallas, and I think I paid for that in the race, so it was a goal for this training block).  I wish they have more flavors with caffeine, as only two of the flavors have it and one of those is chocolate which I have a hard time managing on the run!

Accel gels

Generation UCAN Vanilla Creme

Missy also got me started on UCAN, and it has set well in my stomach when I've had it before long runs, and also seemed to fuel them well.  I do most of my training super early in the morning fasted, but when I fuel beforehand this is my intake of choice.  I aim to have it down 40 minutes to an hour before go time, and basically stumble out of bed to drink it, along with a glass of water, very first thing upon waking.  Before my marathon I plan to have double my usual amount, but probably 2 hours before the race start (the beauty of starting a run at 7:30 a.m. vs 5:00 a.m.!).

SPRI sports performance roller

This is a stiffer roller than basic foam, and I feel like I get more out of using it.  I have been really vigilant this training cycle about rolling, and I roll most every day.  It takes less than 5 minutes to do my legs and upper back (my shoulders and upper back tend to get tight from stress and every day activities), and it really feels good and helps my recovery!  If I'm really pressed for time I at least do my calves, since tight calves were related to my last injury and issue.  I also do this release move for my calves several times a week.

SPRI roller
Standing desk

About 2 years ago, I started using a standing desk at work.  Mine is absolutely nothing fancy, but I can easily transition from using it to not using it.  It's done wonders for my hip flexors!  My job is partially up and around with patients and partially at my desk, but even sitting for half a work day wrecked my hip flexors.  When I first switched I worried that my legs would be more tired and not recover as well, but I found they actually recovered better between workouts when I was standing more - I guess from increased blood flow.  I also learned the importance of quality supportive shoes through this endeavor, and I wear good shoes to work now but also slip into running shoes when I'm in my office standing for awhile (I just keep a pair under my desk at all times).

No comments:

Post a Comment