Sunday, October 29, 2017

What I'm craving this month

I decided to do "What I'm craving this week" photos.  Because who doesn't have marathon training cravings, who doesn't like food photos, and who doesn't like creeping on what other people eat??!

October 1-7:
-Pineapple, and a huge bag of frozen is the best!  I eat this by itself (thawed a bit but not completely), and also put it in smoothies.
-Smoothies made with birthday cake protein powder, various types of frozen fruit, and almond milk (optional add ins:  ground flax seed, chia seeds, peanut butter, spinach, avocado).
-Habanero BBQ flavored almonds - I love almonds in general, but this flavor has been my recent favorite.  My husband loves them too so we had to start buying his and hers containers!
-Peanut butter, which is good on nearly everything (this is my most consistent craving, but I will only note it once to avoid redundancy).


October 8-14:
-Clif Bars, which I love but am too cheap to buy (I picked some up from the Panther Run post-race celebration).
-Spaghetti squash, after we bought many on sale for $1 each (they were huge ones too!) - if you're not shopping Aldi's produce sales then you really must start!  In the photo below it's topped with garlic salt, basil, and nutritional yeast.


October 15-21:
-Baked sweet potatoes with pumpkin pie spice smushed in.  I'm a huge fan of baked sweet potatoes, and I typically add cinnamon to them, but just discovered this combination.  Go try it!
-Pumpkin smoothies, which were another use for my pumpkin pie spice.  I blend almond milk, chopped frozen banana chunks, vanilla or chai protein power, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice.


October 22-28:
-Oatmeal, because I love a good warm bowl in cooler weather!  I do several add-in combinations; pictured is cinnamon, raisins, and ground flax seed.  I also like walnuts, apples, blueberries, chia seeds, and of course peanut butter.
-This indulgent cookie sandwich, because I don't want junk very often, but when I do it's of the high-quality bakery variety (no Little Debbie's here!).  I am not one of those people who can eat a bowl of ice cream every night, and most of the time I crave healthy food, but once in awhile I have something of this nature.  When I eat something like this in isolation I don't notice it too much, but if I string together multiple crappy food choices (such as on a holiday), I start feeling lethargic in my training and daily life.
-Roasted butternut squash with garlic salt.  I was in my 30s when I first had butternut squash, and it's a tragedy I missed out on it for all those years!  This was another $1 a piece for huge squash Aldi produce sale (seriously, shop at Aldi or price match their ad if your grocery store does price matching!).



4 comments:

  1. Keep posting more food blogs! I love these. I get such good ideas from what you eat. AND I have an Aldi on my street corner and have not shopped there yet! I will be going now! Lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halley, Aldi has the $1 squash sale again this week! You can get butternut, acorn, and/or spaghetti squash. They all keep for a couple of months so I stocked up. I'm going to try to make this a monthly cravings blog, but I've already forgotten food photos this week...it's been a busy one!

      Delete
  2. We did the $1 Aldi squash too! Soooo good! That cookie looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldi has the $1 squash again this week! I bought so much that Jon asked if I was sure were we going to be able to eat it all, hah. The cookie was from a gas station outside of Joplin, but they stock them from a bakery (I'm just not sure where the bakery is). I have to go to Joplin for work occasionally and I do not look forward to it, so if I don't have an important run the next day I get one of these to make the trip more palatable.

      Delete