Saturday, June 8, 2019

Updates that Couldn't Wait!

We got a kitten and he is the cutest!  We took almost a week to settle on his name: Nugget Theo Ibbetson.  "Nugget" from gold nugget (my husband and daughter love the show Gold Rush), and also because it sounds good with our other cat's name, Bandit.  Theo because he was named Theodore at the shelter we adopted him from.  Scroll down through excessive kitten photos for the running update I'm excited about.








I had a monster workout this morning, and it was a success!  When I saw it on paper, I wasn't sure I'd be able to hit it, but I knew that if I did it would be a huge confidence boost before Grandma's Marathon.  It was also essentially my last chance for a confidence boost, and my last chance to make big fitness gains, being 2 weeks out from my race.  No pressure!

The goal was 6 miles at 6:15 pace, 1 mile at sub-6:00, 5 miles at 6:15, 1 mile at sub-6:00 (with 2 warm up and 3 cool down miles).  I have never run a workout like this before, and mainly I was worried about the sub-6:00 mile in the middle.  I knew I'd be able to run it because I've regularly been running 6 miles of tempo work at sub-6:00, but I did not know if I'd be able to come back from it and continue at 6:15 for so many more miles.  But you never know until you try, so I tried!

My splits are below.  I ran to 13.11 to see what my half time would be, since I knew it would be faster than my bronchitis half 2 weeks ago.  I was right where I wanted or a shade under for most of the workout, but I couldn't quite get down to sub-6:00 on the final mile...darn those 5 seconds!  I was still quite happy with this, because I ran my second fastest half marathon ever in a workout, by myself, in terrible humidity, with no aid stations, and certainly with different pacing than I'd have used in an actual race.  It was a good reminder not to drop too fast of a mile too early in a race (although this is not generally a problem I have!)!  It was 65 degrees, so about as good as you're going to get in Missouri in June, but the humidity was pretty brutal at 95% and I could squeeze sweat out of my hair and clothing afterward.

Rebecca ran a shorter faster workout on the same course I was on, so at some points I got to chase after her, which was helpful.  I wore the outfit I plan to wear for Grandma's, although I think will wear my Nike Vaporfly shoes for the race and did this workout in New Balance Zantes.  Side note: I do most of my training in Hoka One One Cliftons, but I've been wearing the Zantes for workouts and really like them.

This is the one and only run this year that made me think perhaps my Big Dream Goal is possible at Grandma's, but one is better than none, right?!  2 weeks to go!
Our favorite post-long run pose
Better together
Fast braid for Rebecca, sweat soaked bun for me

No stops, because race clocks don't stop! A lot of people stop to
drink/fuel during long runs/workouts, but I have become
obsessed with never stopping my watch

5 comments:

  1. Nugget is so adorable and I love his name! Awesome workout, you are going to kill Grandma's. I'm so glad you got that big confidence boost!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell Jon that you love the name Nugget! Albani mainly calls him Theo...hopefully we aren't giving the poor cat an identity crisis, haha!

      I was really happy to have that workout come together, although we all know that one workout does not a solid marathon make. If the weather is good at Grandma's I hope to try for a PR though!

      Delete
    2. True, but that is one hell of a workout to nail! I hope you have good weather for the race!

      Delete
    3. Fingers crossed for a significant tail wind! :-)) One of my running buddies pointed out that 2 weeks before Chisholm Trail I ran 12 miles at 6:42 pace with even pacing, on the same course I just ran 13.1 miles at 6:12 pace with uneven pacing - and prior to CTM I also said that 12 mile workout was the only one of the cycle that made me think I could break 3:00. It is also good timing to nail a workout, vs. having good workouts early then peaking too early I suppose.

      Delete
  2. i agree with the no stops rule - you finish in what you finish in!

    ReplyDelete