Tuesday, June 4, 2019

What I'm Craving in May

Marathon training mileage means a lot of fueling...

Good thing we grew a lot of strawberries!  At peak we were picking this much every day.  Luckily they freeze well because even Albani and I couldn't quite keep up.

Dinner plate of the month:  baked sweet potatoes, sweet and sour tuna, and a variety of seasoned roasted vegetables (yellow squash, baby carrots, mushrooms, and broccoli).

Very similar dinner plate, with garlic crusted salmon instead of tuna.

Last month I didn't get a full photo of this bar variety before I ate it, but here it is!  It is hard to find protein sources that travel well without refrigeration, and generally I like to include a protein plus a fruit in my snacks, so when I am on-the-go a bar plus an apple is perfect (nuts also travel well).

I think this smoothie looks like a McDonald's Shamrock shake!  It is almond milk, frozen mango, garden spinach, spirulina, and peanut butter protein powder.

Roasted cauliflower.

I only buy whole grains (I'll eat foods made with white flour if I'm eating out or at an event, because that's life - but everything I prepare is whole grain), and whole wheat cous cous is one of my favorites.

I made this Mexican dish in the crock pot containing whole wheat cous cous, although it is difficult to see.  It also contains black beans, garden spinach, onions, tomatoes, and taco seasoning.

Sweet potato, black olives, roasted yellow squash, steamed broccoli, and garlic crusted tilapia.  My husband likes tilapia better than salmon, so although I like salmon better I've been making more tilapia lately.


I love Aldi's flavored almonds.

I love Aldi's flavored almonds take 2. I have to get to the wasabi ones before my husband though!

Fresh fruit is always a crave.

This Thai take-out on a work trip was delicious, but haunted my stomach for 2 days afterward...

Jon has been requesting lots of veggies, so I've been roasting and seasoning a TON of them every week.  I was too tired to make a protein this evening so I had a hard boiled egg (I have one every day with lunch too).

Another plate of lots of veggie goodness (asparagus was on special at Aldi one week), plus a regular potato, a sweet potato, and cottage cheese.

Frozen sweet black cherries, beets, and chocolate protein powder make amazing smoothies!

Baked potato topped with chives and nutritional yeast, veggie burgers drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette, roasted green veggies (asparagus, sugar snap peas from our garden, and broccoli) drizzled with balsamic, and grape tomatoes.

Texas Roadhouse - we don't like steak but Jon does.

We ended up getting to-go meals from Texas Roadhouse because the wait was so long!  Mine doesn't look much different than my usual dinner, which was good since this was the night before a race.  Salmon, sweet potato, and green beans.  We also had rolls and those peanuts that you shell while waiting, which are not pictured.  My salmon came with a sauce but I didn't eat it.

Bottomless minestrone soup at Olive Garden.

We hadn't been to Olive Garden in years, but I was pretty pleased with my meal of chicken masala and Parmesan broccoli.

Snap peas from our garden!

My new discovery for the month was that nuun makes amazing smoothies!  We were out of almond milk and I wanted my bedtime snack recovery smoothie, so I dissolved 2 tabs of nuun in cold water (1 nuun rest and 1 nuun active).  I blended that with chocolate protein powder, frozen cherries, and a little spinach, and it ended up tasting great!  Who knew?!

Our garden is really taking off so I will have lots of pictures of home-grown produce next month!  So far we have harvested a lot of spinach and sugar snap peas, plus of course the strawberries pictured above.  We froze a lot of the spinach and I use it for cooking year-round - you can add spinach to about anything for a nutritional boost without any taste change.

4 comments:

  1. When you freeze your strawberries, do you just freeze them as is or cut them up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wash them, cut off the stems, and then freeze on a cookie sheet or pan covered in wax paper before bagging them. You can layer several layers of fruit/wax paper/fruit/wax paper when freezing that way. You can throw them all in a bag immediately but then they stick together and are difficult to use for smoothies without defrosting a bit every time you use them. I made a smoothie last night with some that I froze and it came out really well! These are much smaller than the berries you'd buy at the store since we don't use chemicals, so those would probably need cut up before freezing for ideal smoothie making.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I always cut them up but wondered the last time I was doing it if I really needed to or not. When I saw this, I thought I'd see what you do. That makes sense and our blender is a cheapo from Wal-Mart so it's probably best I cut them up.

      Delete
    3. Our blender is also a cheapo but I make it work hard, hahaha!

      Delete