Friday, June 12, 2020

Note to a runner on a comeback: "You'll get back there, but...."

Throughout the time I was off running, I realized how very common injuries are in runners at all levels.  Running is hard on our bodies!  Someone you know is always either injured or returning from injury - and many, many runners you don't know are.

That made me feel better when I couldn't run.  I don't wish injury on anyone, but it's nice to not feel alone.  Social media made me more aware of all of the runners, especially professional and elite runners, who are injured at any moment.   It wasn't just me that was dealing with something!
The last time I was in shape!
But the flip side is that social media has made me hyper aware of people returning from time off better than I am.  It seems that some people can stay really fit from cross-training - if you're one of those people, be thankful!  My body seems to adapt super specifically per activity.  When I started biking I was in top running shape, but biking even 12 miles was difficult and biking 20 miles was harder than running it. I got into pretty good biking shape (20 miles became nothing, 40 miles became "not long", and I rode numerous 50-70 milers), while I got terribly out of running shape!  I expected this to happen, and I didn't bike to maintain running fitness but instead to enjoy biking for itself and to be outdoors, so I wasn't disappointed.  I am sure that biking helped me more than sitting on the couch, but I didn't have an easy transition back to running.

Sometimes it's hard to not let comparison steal your joy.  It seems like many people go straight back into running fast after time off.  It seems like they just effortlessly float back into training, even though I know that's not exactly true.  It seems to come back fast for some people.  Every story of, "I PRed just 6 weeks off of injury" is meant as encouragement but is pretty discouraging when you figure you'll be doing good to run one mile at your former marathon pace 6 weeks after returning to running!  There is also the "I [insert major accomplishment here] after 4 weeks of land running and 1 workout" you hear from pro runners.  Don't even get me started on my error of looking at my own past comebacks (I have learned, age makes a huge difference)!

Many with good intentions say, "You'll get back there" in regards to your running fitness.  If that's a goal you have (it's okay if it's not!), you probably will get back there, but it's okay if it's a long journey and it's okay if you don't get back there too!

So I just want to say that if you're returning from an extended period of time off and are struggling, you are not alone!  I am there too!  I know I can't judge my comeback (from nearly 4 months completely off running) at 2 weeks in, but I am also very in tune with my body and its capabilities, and I can tell you it's going to be a very long time before I'm back to peak fitness!  I look forward to putting in work to get to whatever my current potential is, but I'm not going to tell you one of those stories about how I came back and immediately ran well again.

If you're feeling like you're the only one who isn't coming back quickly, you are not alone.  I know you'll work to get back there (if you want to), but it is okay if it takes 6 weeks, 6 months, or 6 years.  And you are just as valuable if you never get back there too - God's plans are always better than ours!

6 comments:

  1. This is so true! It's how I felt coming back after childbirth. I'd see people who were running PR marathons months after giving birth and I was doing good to finish a half 6 minutes over my PR! But I've gone on to run PRs after having kids, it just took me much longer to get there. Every body is different and handles time off and trauma differently. It's so hard not to make comparisons, but they do steal so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good comparison - I see those people who get insanely fast super quickly after giving birth, and it does seem like everyone is coming back fast, but then you hear stories like Neely Spence Gracey's that show that even pros may take years to come back (I heard her on a podcast recently and she'd had physicians tell her that it actually takes 4 years after giving birth for your body to completely recover!). For some reason, it's always easier to compare to the fast comeback people than to the others.

      Delete
    2. Okay, that's super crazy because I didn't break my half PR until Elise was 4 years old!

      Delete
    3. That makes so much sense! It's a really recent (last week?) episode of Tina Muir's Running for Real podcast that they talked about it - you should listen to it.

      Delete
  2. BQ'd in my first marathon (Grandma's 2019) and then injured both of my Achilles doing a trail marathon a month later. Been struggling with the injury for almost a year. It's mentally draining. Thank you for your post...it's easy to feel isolated during these times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to you! It is easy to feel isolated and especially when time off drags on.

      Delete