Tuesday, May 31, 2022

MAYbe (May 2022 Recap)

May 2022 in review!

Total mileage for the month:  340.6
  • May 2-8:  81.5
  • May 9-15:  80.5
  • May 16-22:  75.5
  • May 23-29:  75.7
  • May 30-June 4: 75.0
#marvelousmay
Races:
  • May 21: Bill Snyder Highway Half in 1:30:40 for 1st masters female, 5th OAF, and a wonderful mini-racecation. The situation was that I could run my hardest and get 1st masters/5th OAF or I could run 1:30 and get 1st masters/5th OAF and potentially help a friend, and I chose the latter.
    It was hilarious if you were there
Workouts:
  •  May 3: Track work of 600 m (2:04), 500 m (1:44), 400 m (1:21), 300 m (1:01), 200 m (0:37), 100 m (0:17) with 300 m jog recoveries. This was a huge departure from recent workouts and seemed like it was good for me! I probably didn't have the strength back I would have needed to do a threshold workout or anything much longer at this point post-Boston. I usually struggle with speed work but I enjoyed this one. Four of my running buddies did the same workout, and we staggered our starts so we would all finish the rep at about the same time (e.g., starting in descending projected time order).
  • May 6: 16.1 miles with 9 x 0:45 pick ups to ~5:45 in the second half. I love putting little pick ups in long runs; it seems to help me biomechanically but isn't tiring.
  • May 10: 4 x 1 mile at threshold effort with 1:30 recoveries in 5:59, 5:59, 6:07, 6:12, with my annual reminder that it's very difficult to negative split anything in 72 degrees and 90% humidity! I kind of expected I'd run them all in 6:10-6:15, so I was still happy with this workout despite the regression. I gave myself 4-6 reps because I wasn't sure how I'd feel, with this being my first real workout post-Boston and not feeling full strength yet, and I was ready to stop at 4 but I think I'd have done 5-6 had it been 50 degrees. I'll get more used to it soon (though I'll definitely still complain about it!) but the first couple of warm humid workouts are really a shock to the system!
  • May 13: 3 mile fartlek of 3:00 on/1:30 off/2:00 on/1:00 off/1:00 on/0:30 off within a 9 mile run. I just ran the ons hard and didn't look at my paces - I ran a hilly route and it was warm and humid, and I am learning that I sometimes feel better about workouts when I don't know exactly what I did.
  • May 16: 2 x 1 mile at threshold + 2 x 0.5 faster in 5:56, 5:57, 2:54, 2:52 with 1:30 recovery jogs. I had great weather for this one so I looked at my splits afterward. My confidence is still wrecked from Boston but this one gave me a smidge of hope.
  • I also did 4-6 x 0:20 strides, 4-6 x 150 m, and light unstructured pick ups several times this month, but didn't note those here.
  • Doubles: May 2, 3, 5, 10, 12, 16, 17, 26.
  • Favorite workout: Probably May 16 because it was relatively short, felt smooth, and went well.
#marvelousmay post-workout
Long Runs:
  • May 6:  16.1 miles (7:31) for #fifteenonfriday plus one!
  • May 14:  14 miles (7:57) with a great group on farm roads. I gave myself 12-15 for the day and amazingly stopped at 14 instead of the farthest option (I blame the humidity). Ironically I'd also given myself 12-15 on May 6.
  • May 21:  18.2 miles, including the Bill Snyder Half Marathon. I didn't realize I ran this far until I uploaded my runs when I got home that evening.
  • May 28: 17.3 miles (7:44) that felt really good with the group.
  • Favorite long run: None of them were particularly noteworthy, but I'll go with May 28 because the weather was super nice for May 28 and I felt like I could run all day.
"I don't know how to be marvelous" -
Sean on #marvelousmay
Running Highlights:
  • Planning my races for the rest of 2022 has been fun!
  • Mini-racecation to Manhattan with a couple of running buddies, plus my parents met us there.
Miles from Mentor bonfire (occurred on 4/30 but
didn't make it in my April post!)
I found myself on the Hospital
Hill Instagram ad
Life Highlights:
  • I got to spend Mother's Day weekend with both my mom and mother-in-law in southeast Kansas. We also did Ibbetson family photos, which required coordinating a lot of people.
  • Albani graduated from 8th grade, meaning I have a high schooler.
  • I wrapped up another semester of adjunct teaching at MSU, and have a little break before rolling into summer teaching.
  • We took a mini-family vacation to Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas over Memorial Day weekend.
Family photos
Last day of junior high
Crater of Diamonds State Park

Ka-do-ha Indian Village

Wet sifting
Books:
  • Cold Wind (Alaska Wild #2) by Paige Shelton
  • Dark Roads by Chevy Stevens
  • Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner
  • Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
  • Book Lover by Emily Henry
  • Under the Tulip Tree by Michelle Shocklee
Theme for the month:
Pink!


2 comments: