Thursday, July 11, 2019

July Cravings Post

At many times this month, we had more garden produce than we could eat, which is a nice problem to have!

Here are two very similar meals, with all home-grown goodness, aside from the cottage cheese and olives.


I called the squash on the right a Siamese twin squash.

Smoothies taste so good in the summer after runs!  I made this one with garden strawberries, garden beets, and the Quest protein powder shown below it.

I highly recommend this flavor!

A wholesale food store near us has a huge variety of protein bars for 50 cents each, so I have been sampling many different ones!  This one was a winner.

The Gluten Free Bar was terrible (I like gluten, lol!), both Muscle Milk flavors were good, and the Protein Cakes were okay but probably trying too hard...

When we saw these on clearance, Jon said, "What's wrong with those?", and after checking the expiration date (months in the future), I responded, "No one but me buys 4 lbs of lentils."

I love cherries, and they were on special at Aldi at the beginning of the month, making them even sweeter.

We ate a lot of happy blackberries in addition to selling them.  I also froze a lot of what Jon called "B berries" (good but not pretty enough to sell) for smoothies.

One of my healthy hearty take out meals while traveling for work - grilled chicken tenders, broccoli, carrots, vegetable soup, and of course their classic biscuit and cornbread (an exception to my avoiding white flour norm).

I tried some Halo Top flavors this month, and I like them even though I don't think they are actually healthy...

A plate of garden veggies:  roasted zucchini, yellow squash, and red onions, along with a weird squash we got at the Farmers Market (not recommended) and red potatoes.

Freshly harvested beets - we had three of these boxes full!  We froze most of them for smoothies, but also ate a lot boiled and roasted.  They are high maintenance because of the scrubbing they require, but so good for endurance athletes.

Watermelon is one of my summer favorites, for sure.  Albani and I can eat an entire one in a few days.

This was one of my prettiest smoothies, with beets and frozen cherries, plus chocolate protein powder.

The light green color of this smoothie was thanks to the combination of pineapple and spirulina.  Have I mentioned I have a smoothie every single night?

Since most days I eat my morning meal(s) on the go, I rarely have cereal for breakfast, but this was on clearance so I tried it and loved it.  It's similar to Chex, which is one of my top cereal picks.

Mid-month, I switched to whole milk Greek yogurt, and it's SO much better.  I had no idea what I was missing!

One day of spaghetti squash harvest, plus Nugget.

Mixed harvest of mini-peppers, poblano peppers, and okra.

Tomato harvest.

Lunch at Mimi's Bistro:  artichoke chicken, quinoa/rice pilaf, and mixed veggies in a sauce.

Spaghetti squash from the garden, plus some zucchini squash from the garden that is mostly covered in cottage cheese.

I think Quest bars are my favorite protein bar - I like Perfect Bars a lot too but they are pricey, and I find Quest bars on sale a lot.

I've been trying to make the switch from peanut butter to almond butter for awhile, and I've finally discovered some almond butter that may make it possible!  This is just almonds, honey, cinnamon, and salt, and it's the best almond butter I've had.

I was the only one who got the Mexican meal that came with veggies at my father-in-law's birthday party, but almost everyone said how good my dinner looked!

People who say you can't eat healthy while traveling are wrong!  Take out tilapia with herb-roasted tomatoes on rice, with a side of broccoli, from the Bass Pro restaurant (just next door to the hotel I stay in when in Kansas City for work, so I can walk over and grab this!).

One evening when I was in Kansas City for work I was so tired I just bought this at the grocery store that I parked at to start my second run on a trail, so I could just go back to my hotel and microwave it.  It was really good but waaaaay too small!

No comments:

Post a Comment