Thursday, July 11, 2019

June Cravings Post

Another month of food!

Beets, beets, and more beets!  They are so good for endurance athletes, and the ones we grow ourselves are so sweet that even my daughter loves them.
We grew a lot of beets...
Watermelon is one of my summer favorites, and I really appreciate the seedless variety.
We have more blackberries than we can ever eat right now; my husband and daughter are also selling them at a local farmer's market.  On June 30 we sold 150 quarts in 2 hours!

My newest protein powder flavor.
It goes great with garden fresh strawberries and beets in smoothies!
One of my favorite flavors; I always add cinnamon, which is great for taste and for reducing inflammation.
Open-faced veggie burgers (our ratio of buns to burgers did not quite align), steamed broccoli and carrots, and a few olives for good measure, all drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
Roasted veggies, cottage cheese topped with Everything but the Bagel seasoning, sweet potato topped with coconut oil and cinnamon.
 Dinner plate of beets, broccoli, black olives, baked potatoes, and hard boiled eggs.
I made kale chips seasoned with this sundried tomato seasoning/sauce mix, and they came out really well.  Also home grown kale!
 Peaches and pears.
I found this yogurt at Aldi and really like it.  It is full fat but no sugar, which is hard to find.  I topped this one with blackberries.

Here are several of my eats on my Grandma's Marathon trip.

Blackened salmon with power rice and grilled veggies from 54th Street Grill (this also came with a summer salad, pictured towards then end with another meal).  The power rice seems to be rice, quinoa, kale, and some seeds, and it's delicious.

One of the easiest traveling breakfasts is oatmeal - I add protein powder and cinnamon.

I ate many meals on the road that consisted of baked sweet potatoes with cinnamon, a veggie, and a tuna pouch (I was in my parent's RV with a microwave).

Post-marathon brunch!  Veggie and cheese omelet and pancakes.  I like my pancakes with peanut butter instead of syrup, but they didn't have it so I settled for butter.

Another meal in the RV - baked sweet potatoes with cinnamon, cherry tomatoes, and chicken and corn my mom didn't finish in her post-marathon meal.

Quest bars are some of my favorite protein bars.

Fish tacos with fresh white fish from Lake Superior, plus the tiniest fruit cup ever.

Ginger Thai stir fry take out.

Final RV sweet potatoes and tuna meal, with sugar snap peas.

Summer salad from 54th Street Grill.  I like salads as a side but not as a meal, and this one was really good, with strawberries, pecans, apples, and blue cheese crumbles.  The dressing was good too!  It came with the meal below.

Red snapper, power blend rice, and grilled veggies from 54th Street Grill.  I liked my first meal from there so much I went there again on the return trip (the restaurant I went to is in Kansas City, but it's a chain).

Sometimes a tuna sandwich is the best on the road!

These are okay; they travel well though.

After months of mostly avoiding sugar, I indulged the week after the marathon.  I have quite the sweet tooth but I always feel better when mostly avoiding desserts, so when I wasn't training I tried to get my fill for awhile.  After eating all of this crap, I was sure craving healthy food again!

Frosting is my favorite.

Since it was hot, ice cream was a close second.  This peanut butter sundae was amazing.

This cotton candy Blizzard was disappointing though.

This was the best dessert I had; which as you can see, was not an easy contest to win.
So delicious, but I probably have diabetes now.

Also pretty amazing: a peanut butter no bake cookie topped with a Hershey Kiss.

2 comments:

  1. These always make me so hungry! I've tried making kale chips and apparently suck at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the main key is getting the timing right! They go from under-cooked to perfect to burnt real quick.

      Delete