Sunday, April 12, 2020

2:45:01 and Beyond: Molly Nuun

Molly and I met when she messaged me on Instagram to say we have the exact same marathon PR!  As I started talking with her, I knew that her story of pursuing an OTQ would be an amazing one to share.  Her quest for the 2012 OTQ started with a question and comment from a coach, and she ran her 2:46:08 when the qualifying standard was 2:46:00, so was only 8 seconds away despite tripping and major wind gusts!  She ran 3 amazing marathons in 2011, but the wisdom she has from the experiences 9 years later is far more valuable.
2015 Wineglass Marathon win
Name: Molly Nunn

Age: 36
City/State: Winston-Salem, NC
Occupation: Sr. FP&A Manager 
Hobbies/interests outside of running:
Run-exploring new cities, golfing, writing my blog (although I do not update as often as I’d like), going to the car wash, sing-dancing loudly in the car, and eating great food and drink with friends. 
When did you start chasing the OTQ and what inspired you to try?
After college, a former Wake Forest coach noticed I was always out on the track doing workouts and asked what I was training for…I didn’t know! I did not accomplish much in college running other than walking onto the team (which was a huge feat for me since I went to a 1-A high school and had 23 people in my class) and I just knew inside that I needed something more from the sport. He said, “have you thought about trying to qualify for the Olympic Marathon Trials?” From there, I locked onto the goal. 
Tell us about the races you attempted to OTQ at and the outcomes.
2011 January Houston – Lesson: you need a LOT of GOOD calories before the race, I had McDonalds and could barely stomach the food. Dropped out at Mile 15.5. Lesson II: It takes a LONG time to get back to the start/finish or wait for a medical van.
2011 February Myrtle Beach – 2:46:59 – Almost made it!
2011 March Virginia Beach – “THE ONE” – 2:46:08. The day included 30mph wind gusts, but it was THE DAY. Got tripped at mile 16, lost my shoe, bruised my left rib, and bloodied up my left arm, but it was THE DAY. Got to the home stretch and saw the 2:45 ticking up, and up, crossed the finish line, and puked (it was the ONLY race I’ve ever puked in). Missed by 8 seconds, but it is THE DAY that stays with me.
2011 Wineglass Marathon – First Marathon Victory – 2:48:21. This is a day that should’ve stayed with me, but I was done trying to qualify for the Trials and unhappy. In 2015, I was able to win this race again after discovering “happy running;” I ran almost 7 minutes slower, but it was magical to live through that moment of winning the marathon.
What did you gain from this journey?
Now that it has been almost 10 years, the biggest lesson I learned is that you cannot constantly keep one foot in the past, and one foot in the future, you’ve got to, also, embrace that exact day, all that it gives you, and open your eyes to the magic you create; you also never know just how people you inspire to also pick up their dream and run with it. (ha pun intended!)
What are you most proud of about your OTQ pursuit?
I am proud to have discovered just how much strength we have been given, physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually… we have so much power but it’s our decision how we harness it or set it free to do great and wonderful things.
Do you have any regrets or things you wish you’d done differently in your OTQ pursuit?
Yes, two things: I tried to do too much at once; I was working full-time and paying the bills, going to MBA school, running 80-mile weeks, and not fueling or resting like I needed to. It was the burn out train, and I burned out which resulted in several years of injuries afterwards.
Second, is a hard one; sometimes, we get so focused on our goal and kind of dark and stormy about it, we push away people that want to support us in our relentless pursuit, the people that will still be there on the other side. We have to find the balance in the pursuit of the ‘dream’ and in meaningful relationships. Attempting to or qualifying for the Olympic Trials is a moment we can cherish, but dear family and friends is the part of life that’s priceless. I would’ve spent more time balancing and nourishing both.
What message would you like to send to those following your running pursuits?
My mantra has become “Happy Running” – life is very short and so it is important to work towards those meaningful things that help us become deeply and utterly joyful and happy.

Tell us something unique about yourself.
When I was 25 and a school teacher/coach, I had to get my CDL license and drove a school bus. I looked like a high school student DRIVING 60 high school students to cross-country and track and field meets.  It was terrifying.

What’s next for you?
… a 90 minute date with my elliptical machine! … and hopefully, a fast, fall Marathon!!!

Anything else you’d like to share?
Thank you Sara; you are an inspiration!
2011 Wineglass Marathon win


2 comments:

  1. Molly is study in determination and grit and is an inspiration to many in her community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to MBA school with Molly and she was truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete