Friday, April 17, 2020

I've become a cyclist temporarily + hip update

In my last update, I mentioned how incredibly helpful just a couple of sessions of PT were for my mystery hip issue.  I am happy to report I have continued to walk without pain and without a limp.  I feel almost ready to run again, but not quite.  I've of course done the "run through the house" test several times, and my hip is just almost-but-not-quite there.  I have never had an injury recur after I returned to running, which I think means I'm really good at not pushing it when I'm almost-but-not-quite there.  I've been off running so long at this point what difference is another week or two going to make, right?  The difference between 1 week and 2 weeks off us huge; the difference between 10 and 11 weeks off is minuscule.

Since I had such immediate dramatic improvement, I thought for sure I'd be able to run by now, but improvement has been muuuuucccchhh slower since.  I am thankful I can walk without pain, and that I've been able to reintroduce strength work.  My PT recommended staying off the bike for a bit, which I have now done for one day (elliptical instead), but since I don't think the bike is bugging my hip I will probably get back on soon.  The PT thought the hip angle might be keeping my hip inflamed even though biking has never bothered it.

I am also considering getting the cortisone shot...

I've continued my cycling journey and have been really enjoying it!  I only started officially tracking my cycling mileage when I got my road bike tuned up and began going outside often, but since then I've had weeks of biking mileage of 164, 225, and 246.  I do a few Peloton workouts on my spin bike each week, several easy rides outside, and a long ride outside.  This week I'm taking a cut-back week instead of building again since I essentially went from 0 to nearly 250 miles in 6 weeks of biking (also since my PT recommended trying some time off the bike), but before quarantine is over I'm hoping to hit a 300 mile week.  Funny, when I initially got this injury I said I wasn't going to cross-train that much, but somehow we return to our "normal" level of activity, huh?
Banded clamshells with cat participation

No comments:

Post a Comment