Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Things I wouldn't have done if it weren't for COVID-19

I have been counting my blessings during this odd, unprecedented time, and I realized that there are several things I have done that I wouldn't have had this not happened.
  1. Slowed down.  I'd already started down this road before the pandemic, when I used crutches for a couple of weeks for my mystery hip injury.  I experienced a great deal of frustration when I first started crutching around - I am used to going nonstop and suddenly everything took much longer and I needed help doing things that I usually take for granted.  I figured that God was trying to teach me patience, and that has carried over into the stay at home order and other changes.  The pace of my daily life has slowed down.  I'm still busy at work, but I'm not busy with much of anything else!  Everything is more intentional, deliberate, and in-the-moment vs. rushed.
  2. Taken a crash course in and worked via Telehealth.  I did not have any experience as a Telehealth provider before COVID-19, and now I feel like a pro!  Some days I've had 8 hours straight of teleconference appointments.  Initially this change was stressful, particularly because there was no preparation time, but I have learned a lot and adapted.  I attended several webinars, listened to podcasts, and read a lot on the topic.
  3. Explored bike routes galore.  I love the area we live in and am thankful for it for many reasons, but I have never been so thankful for the endless farm road cycling options just outside my front door until this time period!  Two bad things happened and coincided for this to work (pandemic plus my hip issue), but I wouldn't be able to lunch break ride if I wasn't working from home, so I'm super thankful this all aligned and for the biking options I have.
  4. Used the Peloton app.  The app offered a 90-day free trial, which I jumped on since I was spending a lot of time on the bike.  I didn't realize all of the other activity options the app would have, but in addition to the spin classes (which I love!), I am also doing yoga classes, core workouts, and strength workouts.  If at any point I think my running career is over, I will for sure buy a Peloton bike.  I have been thankful to have a spin bike at home through this (I got one for Christmas 2015 and it's come in handy anytime I've been unable to run).
  5. Read ebooks.  I read all of the library books I had checked out and had already read nearly all of the books I had at home, so I began checking out ebooks through my public library's system.  Initially I didn't like it - and I think I will always prefer actual books - but it grew on me and I love the selections right at my fingertips.  I also discovered I could easily read them (on my touch screen computer that has a keyboard that rotates around to tablet mode) while riding my spin bike, which was a great discovery.  I always read a lot, but the volume of books I read has also increased.
  6. Finished all of my CEUs for my November 2021 recertification.  I just renewed by BCBA certification in November 2019, I so had plenty of time left to accumulate CEUs in my 2-year cycle, but several online CEU providers offered some or all of their CEU libraries for free, so I knocked them all out - for free!
  7. Lived in sweats and no shoes.  A huge perk of Telehealth:  only your head and shoulders are visible!  I pretty much only wore shoes when exercising.  I haven't worn makeup, but on a regular basis my maximum makeup consists of tinted moisturizer and mascara, so that's not a huge change.
Most of my favorite cycling routes are versions of this loop,
which can be varied in about a thousand ways!
I also think the world has grown closer.  It's ironic because everyone is apart due to social distancing, but I think these shared global experiences have really brought people together.  People bond over shared obstacles, and people rally together to support one another more in times of trial.

I don't mean to minimize the seriousness of this pandemic, or those who have been heavily affected.  I know I am fortunate to be pretty unaffected, with job security, living in a rural area, and being an introvert (I have loved staying home!).  We lost a family friend to the virus, an elderly former neighbor who was living in Arizona, so we were touched by this, yet not nearly as much as many.  I pray that our world will come out of this a better place.

3 comments:

  1. I've been working on a post similar to this about things I'm loving about life right now. I definitely think it's good to think about the positive. There's so much negative news, it's easy to get swallowed up in the negativity. I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I feel the same way about ebooks. I way prefer reading regular books but it is nice to always have a book on you without having to carry one around. And when it's dark it's easier to read an ebook because my phone lights up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete