Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 was...

2020 in Review

I went down the rabbit hole of my past yearly running recaps when looking for mileage statistics, and I think I was much more eloquent and accomplished in 2019, 2018, 20172016, and 2015 than in 2020.  However, I still love running, it's a significant part of my life, and it brings me joy every opportunity I get to do it.  I am also another year closer to my goal of running for life (there have been and probably always will be some minor disruptions).

Mileage:
On that note, I only ran about 7 months of 2020 due to my hip impingement (which I have since found great ways to work around).  My total mileage was 2194.6 per Garmin and 2188 per Strava.  I'm not sure the reason for the discrepancy, but I am going to blame it on the run/walk stuff I did when getting my hip under control (as in, I recorded something as a run on Garmin and a walk on Strava).  If I divide my total mileage by 52 it gives me 42.2 miles per week on average, but if I divide it by the weeks I was actually running (33) I like it better at 66.5 miles per week on average.  My mileage history for comparison is at the end of this post, and in the big picture my yearly mileage wasn't bad; it's just easier to remember my more immediate history when I was exceeding 3000 miles per year (and last year I was close to 4000).  I don't set yearly mileage goals, but I like to see where I end up.  My running elevation gain for the year was 77,963 ft.

On the other hand, I biked 2,945 miles this year, which has to be a yearly cycling mileage PR, but I've never paid attention to it so I don't know by how much.  I have definitely never biked more miles in a year than I ran before now.  I'm thankful I was able to ride outdoors when I wasn't able to run, but it is very easy for me to drop cycling when I can run!  And, no, I had no desire to ride 55 more miles to get to 3,000.

I made this face for most of the year
Races:
I ran one race in 2020, the Houston Marathon in January, and it did not go as I'd hoped, but it was blatantly clear why I didn't perform well (bronchitis), which I much prefer over an unexplained bad race.

I did 3 time trials, although the first one, a 2 miler, was such a rust-buster that I didn't really count it.  I am glad my coach had me run it, because it helped me remember how to hurt and helped me run a lot better in the 5k I did a couple weeks later.  I did a 5k in 18:28ish (I stopped my watch at 3.13 in 18:35, 5:56 pace) and a 20k in 1:20:35 (6:29 pace).  For the circumstances, I was happy with both of them, and although slower than my marathon PR pace, the 20k was an unofficial PR since I'd only raced that distance once before.

I became a masters runner on October 26, but have yet to run my first masters race - I am excited about it, though!

Running community:
I coordinate the Miles from Mentor running group and I'm so excited about how much our group has grown this year!  We have group runs every day, occasionally twice, and these awesome people make my miles quite enjoyable.  I'm very self-motivated with running, but it sure is easier to get out in the pitch dark early 20 degree mornings with a crew!

I continued free coaching for several friends - in one discussion on a group run I realized that I'd coached almost everyone who attends our running group even sometimes at one point or another!  I helped a friend break 1:30 in the half twice (after 4 years of trying), I helped a friend debut with a 2:55 marathon, I helped a friend run an 11-minute marathon PR (although she will better it in 2021), and I'm currently leading a training group with coordinated individualized schedules for a March half marathon.  

Thoughts on the year:
We always learn more from failures and tough times than from successes and things that go well, but I don't think anyone can deny that it's more fun to succeed!  I've kind of felt like the world has been against me since 12/3/19, but at the same time I know that even on my worst day I have much to be thankful for.

As I looked back on the past yearly running recaps I've done, I realized that I had 5 years of really, really good running (2015-2019) - although ironically my definition of "really good" changed every year.  The mileage totals below will also tell you that I had 4 years of not-so-good running before then (2011-2014).  Like most things in life, running ebbs and flows.  While the phrase "it's only running" is true, running is also "only" my lifelong hobby and biggest quantifiable goal obsession.  Looking back, it's clear that God has used running to direct my life in certain ways, which is neat to think about and something I'm sure is still happening.

I trust there are reasons for the ups and downs, and I am ending the year beyond grateful that I get to do this!  I know how fortunate I am to have something that makes me excited to get out of bed at 4:45 a.m. every week day morning.  I've been blessed to have the abilities and resources to dream big, even when I fall short - and thankful that the people in my life care just as much about me whether I'm logging high mileage weeks or not running at all.  I am lucky to be part of the amazing running community (we all know that runners truly are the best people!).

Podcasts I was on:

Blog series I wrote:

Mileage History:
2020 - 2194
2019 - 3854
2018 - 3047
2017 - 3043
2016 - 2294
2015 - 1942
2014 - 972
2013 - 595
2012 - 1373
2011 - 1539
2010 - 2106

For more on 2020:

1 comment:

  1. It really is incredible what an amazing streak you've had and how you will still be running PRs as a master's runner. I cracked up laughing over your face for 2020. I feel the same!

    ReplyDelete