Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March 2020: There is nothing certain but the uncertain

March 2020 in review!

Total mileage for the month: 0...no running and no clear answers on when I'll be able to run again (injury update post here).
    Races:
    • Obviously none this month.  Although my reason for not racing was being injured, 3 of 3 races I had planned for this month cancelled due to COVID-19.  The 3 races I had planned for April also cancelled or postponed, and my May race postponed, so I effectively only missed one race this season (February 29).
    My cross-training BFF
     Workouts:
    • Cross-training:  I biked most days (road, spin, or a Lifecycle), and did a little swimming, aquajogging, rollerblading, and elliptical (1-2 days of everything that wasn't biking).
    • Biking:  I started tracking my cycling mileage the week of March 23-29, and got in 164 miles for that week.  Of course I'd rather be running, but I'm thankful I can get out on my road bike, which I got tuned up right before the COVID-19 craziness hit the Midwest.  My goal for March 30-April 5 is to ride over 200 miles and I did a cycling "double" on March 30, so I guess it is safe to say that my period of minimal cross-training has come to a close.
    • Strength work:  Weekly totals of 2:08, 2:00, 1:00, 1:16, 1:11
    • Yoga:  Weekly totals of 0:36, 0:45, 2:11, 2:03, 3:16
    Long Runs:
    • You guessed it - none this month.
    Running Fitness Highlights:
    • I was interviewed on the Strong Runner Chick Radio podcast, which was really fun!
    • My running low-light was a hip injury - details here.  My last outdoor run was Feb. 12.  I began using crutches on March 11, and felt more improvement in about 4 days on crutches than I had in 4 weeks off running!  I also realized how much I walk in a normal day, which of course drastically dropped because crutching around is painful.  I had an MRI on March 26 and am anxiously awaiting the results.
    • I improved my biking strength a lot. 
    • I have plans for another series to follow 2:45:01 and Beyond, but I'm going to wait until I'm not working via telehealth, because outside of work I have no desire to see any screens!  It's kind of amazing this post is making it out.
    Every day is now bring you cat to work day
     Life Notes:
    • Without a doubt, the "hot" topics of March 2020 were COVID-19, social distancing, and an unprecedented number of major cancellations.  This pandemic is going to have profound effects on our economy and history.  What a crazy time.
    • On March 17, my agency temporarily changed to providing ABA services by telehealth only.  The first 48 hours were quite a whirlwind with learning the virtual platform, developing telehealth consents, contacting what felt like a million people, etc.  The first two days I worked non-stop from about 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., and ended my days completely exhausted despite not leaving my home.  I will be working this way through at least April 24.  It did make it easier to be on crutches, though, that is for sure.
    • Albani was on scheduled spring break from March 16-20, and then her school added two more weeks off, scheduled to return on April 6.  We did not have home school activities like many states, but I kept her on a schedule and had her read a lot.  Following a 30 day stay at home order beginning on March 26, our school closure was extended, now with a scheduled return date of April 27 and alternative learning beginning April 6.  There is a reason my husband and I don't homeschool, so pray for us!
    • We spent a lot of time planting and preparing our garden.  My husband expanded it again this year!
    • My cat Nugget also has a hip malady.  He began limping around and didn't improve, so we took him to the vet to find out he has a genetic hip malformation (x-ray below).  The vet said this is very common in dogs but rare in cats.  We can get surgery for him but it is pretty extreme (the ball of the hip is cut off, and then the bones fuse together), so we are giving it some time since he is still growing.  He is currently doing better but isn't functioning quite normally, so we will see...   We are kind of two of a kind!
    Nugget attacked the crutches a lot
    Every morning
    Nugget's hip abnormality
    Cross-stitching is one of my sedentary hobbies
    I love staying in & reading, pandemic or not
    This is what she learned on spring break
    Books and cats are all we need!

    Books:

    • The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
    • Still Alice by Lisa Genova
    • Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
    • One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
    • Racing the Rain by John Parker Jr.
    • Finding Chika:  A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family by Mitch Albom
    • Year of the Monkey by Patty Smith
    • Stone Mattress:  Nine Tales by Margaret Atwood
    • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis 
    • A Good Man by Ani Katz
    • Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly 
    • Anatomy, Stretching, and Training for Marathoners: A Step-by-Step Guide to Getting the Most From Your Running Workout by Jay Dicharry
    • Noel Street by Richard Paul Evans
    • The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena
    • Seven Day of Us by Francesa Hornak 
    • The Tenant by Katrine Engberg
    • Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson
    • Life Will Be the Death of Me:...and You Too! by Chelsea Handler
    • Inside the O'Briens by Liss Genova
    I would have checked out more books before the library closed,
    but this was all I could fit in my backpack & I was on crutches!
    Theme of the month:
    Uncertainty, patience, and faith.

    6 comments:

    1. Poor Nugget! I love that you loaded up your backpack with books before the library closed. Sadly, I didn't think about getting books for myself and only got them for the kids. But I have a monster stack of books to get through, as you've seen, so I should be okay!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You were the better mother; I didn't get any for Albani... But her school has crates of books available for pick up so we were saved there, plus she owns way more books than I do. Our library was initially scheduled to re-open on April 6, and I ran out of books on April 5, so I estimated what I'd need quite well! I have now switched to ebooks, which I don't prefer but am thankful for.

        Delete
      2. My kids really didn't need the library books, we have so freaking many books at home, haha! I just panicked. I'm with you on the regular books over ebooks. I saw on Goodreads that you read The Alice Network and liked it, I loved that one!

        Delete
      3. I completely understand the panic library check outs, haha! The Alice Network was my first ebook, and I loved it so much I think it made me more open to ebooks. After that I read one of Albani's books for a real one, and now I'm starting another ebook (A Spark of Light by Jodi Piccolt).

        Delete
      4. I loved "The Alice Network" too, it was sooooo good! I also read "The Huntress" by the same author and it was really good as well. I'm glad you've been enjoying ebooks more, I was the same way, it was hard to get used to them but once I did I like to have one going at all times just in case I'm ever somewhere without a book because I pretty much always have my phone!

        Delete
      5. I'll put "The Huntress" on my list!

        Delete